add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Video editing workstation upgrade, have a few questions

bhlebeau

61 months ago

I come from a Hackintosh background, but I've decided to switch over to a PC-exclusive computer. I don't do any gaming, only editing, and I'm migrating towards 4K. Some of the stuff on this list I already own from my previous dual-boot computer (Carbide 300R, storage drives, optical drive, CPU cooler, power supply, and wireless card.)

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/bhlebeau/saved/wzvmP6

I have a bunch of questions:

1) Are there any issues if I choose to get the regular GTX Titan 6GB and not the Black?

2) This may be a dumb question, but does the Titan require any separate cooling? Is it plug-n-play?

3) Do I need a better CPU cooler?

4) Do I actually need the wireless card? Or would I be better off getting a mobo with wireless?

5) Should I get extra fans inside my 300R?

6) Wattage is more than sufficient, right? The estimate says 500W, I currently have a 750W.

7) And, of course, are there any foreseeable issues with compatibility or spacing with this build?

Anything other suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Your Build Will Be Fine As Long As Youre Not Going To Add Another Titan.I would Also Make The PSU Modular.And For Video Editing,You Could Save Some Money By Going With An Xeon.I Would Also Recommend Getting Hybrid Drives,Which Can Boost Performance In Areas Such As Video Rendering And Editing Etc.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the response! And actually, turns out I selected the wrong PSU, I already have the 750M.

And yeah, I'm sticking with a single GPU. Need as much GPU RAM as possible in a single card, as most softwares don't support SLI.

The thing about hybrid drives is, I'm down to use an SSD for my boot drive and programs, and use HDDs for everything else. But I'm not sure how that would improve my editing performance. Would using an SSD for my program drive make any difference to my render speeds?

Thanks again!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry Didn't See The SSD lol.No The SSD Will Be More Than Good.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I Thought Youd Be Using The HDDs For The Video Stuffs.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube