add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First PC Build opinions and suggestions welcome

Lychoris

61 months ago

Building my first PC primarily for gaming and the other general computer uses. I don't plan on Multitasking or editing videos or anything just something to run games like a modded Skyrim at 60fps with respectable graphics. This is the part list and that's generally the price range I want to stay in considering I will need to get a monitor, keyboard, OS, and security software, etc. I chose the Asus mobo because I read on forums and neweggs that is has great compatibility with AMD CPUs. Which, I have no qualms about switching for the fx-8350 Vishera http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tKzbGX

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I think that's a pretty good build. Unless you are planning to upgrade your GPU soon, you may want to take the $80 you are spending on your SSD and put it towards a better GPU.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd definitely upgrade the GPU.

You can skip the HDD for now and buy it later. Put those funds into a better GPU. Try this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $98.99 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler -
Motherboard Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $134.97 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $73.98 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial M550 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $89.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus Radeon R9 280 3GB DirectCU II Video Card $214.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $92.99 @ NCIX US
Monitor Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor $156.76 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $929.69
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-08 10:46 EST-0500

If you wanted, you can swap SDD for the HDD.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

There better: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CqKCqs

If you don't plan to switch to FX-83XXX, you can drop the Mobo down to Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P it will save you a lot of money and you will still be able to OC FX6300 just as high your looking at around 4.5-4.7ghz, anything more it's just nitpicking with no real gains in gaming. Anyways switching to 8xxx is just waste of money it doesn't have any better performance in gaming to FX6300. Wait till new AMD procesor or switch to intel for any real gains.

Better GPU R9 280 is much much better than your original pick 750ti.

XFX 550w is more than enogh for this build and it's better quality since its made by seasonic than CX600 which is made by CWT in fact a XFX 550 is just as powerfull as cx600.

and instead of TFT monitor i changed you for IPS monitor much better color reproduction.

So its besicly you get better GPU, better monitor, better PSU for same price of 809$.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube