add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is Corsair cw500 bronze 80+ good enough for R280x?

kiermac
  • 63 months ago

I am actually asking for the entry level gaming build from the front page, as it uses Corsair builder 500w 80+ bronze PSU.

The estimated wattage is around 390, but since the power efficiency is 80%, the 500w PSU gives about 400w which just barely covers the wattage. Is it safer to get a 50w higher PSU on the long run (if planning on using this PC for more than two years)?

Or the "get a PSU that has 25% more wattage than your PC" is just a myth? (I am not sure when people talk about this, the wattage is before or after the PSU's efficient wattage.)

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

"Power supply efficiency is defined as the amount of power actually provided to the internal components, divided by the amount of power drawn at the wall. A 50% efficient PSU that’s tasked with providing 50W of power to a system will draw 100W from the grid. The extra 50W is lost as heat. A 90% efficient PSU would draw 56W in the same circumstances."

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/143029-empowered-can-high-efficiency-power-supplies-cut-your-electricity-bill

[comment deleted]
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting. But some dude told me that this Corsair 500w PSU only provides 400w 12v (not sure where to check this info), and he basically said it's not safe for the build.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Just found it http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cx500-80-plus-bronze-certified-power-supply

Corsair cx500w has 456w 12v, so I think it's more than enough.

[comment deleted]
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube