add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Inexperienced; need a strong computer with no conflicts

Joho3D

61 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GTJCqs

update 1: removed sound and ethernet cards.

update 2: added 4-pin Y Connectors and 4-pin extension cords. Even if I have too many, I can still use it to my advantage so don't worry about it.

update 3: removed thermal paste and updated 4-pin Y Connectors and 4-pin Extension cords to much better versions.

I was wondering if anyone could look over this one to see if there are any improvements I could make. Also, a very important factor for me is the graphic card size since I want to use all of my harddrives, and the CPU heatsink not interfering with my RAM but there is so much information to keep note of out there, I feel lost and confused. Also, I need to know if cables need extenders or if fans need something to control the heat. I am very new at this so lay it all on me. I am looking to learn.

My budget can hit anywhere between $1300-$2000.

Much appreciated!

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

You don't really need an ethernet and sound card for this. Could shave some cash off there and free slots.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Should I just connect with the motherboard instead? Are there any benefits to using these cards or is it just plain not worth it?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Aye. The only benefits are if you work heavily in production and need the cleanest sound possible and can blow hundreds on said card. As for ethernet, the difference doesn't really exist.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, I'm taking them out then!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, what do I do about my fans set up? I didn't think about how many connections my powersupply will come with and how many cables I'll need or how many connections I need to make? Do I need to purchase adapters or splitters?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

OK here we go....

7 fans if I counted correctly. The Z97-A has 4 PWM fan headers.

You can connect all of the fans to the MB Ch Fan headers. That will give fan control to the MB and you can customize the profiles with the MB utility.

I remember watching a video with the ASUS rep who said that they had doubled the amps per fan header with the Z97 release.

Those fans do not come with Y adaptors or extensions like the reg. fans do. You will need to order those separately.

You will need 3 Y connectors ( that will control 6) and a few extensions ( ? 4 or 5 ? ) also since you are using a large case.

That will leave you with 1 fan that you can control by itself.

Hopefully it will make more sense when you have all the parts in front of you.

No need to power them off the PSU. That would negate the PWM feature of the fans.

You really need that many fans?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

So a total of 7 fans total, 6 are controlled via Mobo with 3 Y-connectors + ~5 extensions

and 1 extra fan I have no idea how to connect if my Mobo is full...

That was clear and precise, if I understood it correctly, haha.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

MB has 4 fan headers so 3 will have the Y connectors to control 6 and the last fan (#7) will use the last (4th) MB fan header.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

That number of fans is mostly a safeguard. I play games all the time on max settings for my 2 144hz monitors, work on huge resolution files on Photoshop, and work with 3D programs like 3DSMax and Zbrush where I render scenes quite often. Plus, I have no idea how to use liquid cooling.

Do you have any recommendations for the Y-connectors and extenders? I believe the fans and mobo have 4-pin so what brand would you recommend?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Not going with an AIO cooler is a + IMO.

The Ys and extensions: Might as well use the Noctua as they are really high quality and fully sleeved. Cheap ones have the colored wires exposed and low grade connectors.

http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NA-SYC1-Accessory-4-pin-Y-Cables/dp/B00KG8K5CY/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1420769132&sr=1-1&keywords=noctua+y+cable

http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NA-SEC1-Accessory-Extension-Cables/dp/B00KG3K9AM/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1420769239&sr=1-1&keywords=noctua+extension+cable They are 12".

As you can see from my build I am not a fan of Noctua (he he).

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Haha, that is a major difference in quality right there! I'll add them to my build list! Thanks so much, you've been immensely helpful! I've learned quite a bit about fans and connections lol.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Your welcome. Looking forward to seeing it in the Completed builds section!

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh BTW you do not need that Thermal Paste. Cooler comes with one of the best already.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube