add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
bigwoop

61 months ago

With years of hobbies behind me - all of sudden I find myself looped back into the PC world. DIGGING IT but now my head hurts from a solid week of getting up-to-speed on current(ish) trends. I've built maybe more than a hundred machines in the waaaaay past - started with my first build the day the Intel Pentium 200MMX was released back during the age of reptiles.

So, I'm due for a new machine. My MacBook Pro is pissing me off - gotta say, I switched to Mac a decade ago because I was so tired of the PC world back then... feeling it was all blah and drab and lame and programmy.

But now I'm itching to get back into the fray with:

• OC
  • Game
  • Build up a media library
  • Load up Creative Suite
  • ...and constantly check email and stock prices, of course.

This build (I think), well, its supposed to allow me some expansion - additional video card - additional memory - additional 1TB drives as videos, movies, and music spill over. And I tried to pick components that would keep noise to a minimum even once everything is running overclocked.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $218.98 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler $99.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $151.98 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory $184.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $167.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $80.98 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card $348.95 @ Amazon
Case Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case $114.99 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $119.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $89.95 @ B&H
Case Accessory NZXT Hue LED Controller $32.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1611.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-08 23:42 EST-0500

Still Needed:

• Mouse
  • Keyboard
  • OS
  • Monitor - one that will pair will with an identical later on when I add a second GTX 970

I've got a Toshiba 256SSD thats being up-cycled from an old MacBook - planning to use it as scratch, basically until it dies.

I'm going to transition the D15's outer fan to the case exhaust and move its exhaust up to the front for a dual in - single out setup. The Define R5 case has a built in controller for three fans and I'm hoping - from what I've read - that repurposing the D15's outer fan will give me the room over the Corsair Vengeance I need.

The LED controller is something I selected because the case has a window that I'm going to have laser etched with something - and I wanted to light it up - but not entirely sure about lighting gear - so pointers will be great if you want to offer up ideas.

I'm utterly exhausted trying to choose a mouse and keyboard - but there will be a few peripherals added before I pull the trigger on this build. Seriously, picking a mouse and keyboard is even more frustrating that trying to decide what version of windows to get.

Ok - so that's my rant for now - what did I do wrong and what do I need to make better?

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Doesn't Seem Like your Doing Anything Wrong :p

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

ha! you should see the dent on the side of my head that I got from leaning on my left hand while researching reviews for ... jesus, what day is it?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

lol

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube