add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Modular Power Supplies?

Faizan
  • 63 months ago

Hey guys, I wanted to know how much better the EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply is than the Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply. I'm asking this because I can't decide between two builds that I have. Both have Geforce GTX 970s, but one has an i5 4590 (with the EVGA PSU) and the other has an i5 4690 (with the Corsair PSU).

I know that 500W is the recommended amount for the Geforce GTX 970, but I really want one that's fully modular, like the EVGA. Again, but, I don't have enough money for the EVGA one. Is there really a noticeable difference between the 500W Bronze efficiency semi-modular and the 650W Gold efficiency fully-modular? What cables come attached with a semi-modular? Is it true that no cables come attached to the fully-modular but they all are separate? Will the less wattage with worse efficiency be bad for my system?

I need to know if I should get the EVGA one or stick to the Corsair one for the 4690 build. I know that's alot, but thanks for any help at all!

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

The evga g1 psu is definitely better than the corsair cx.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

But, what cables come attached with a semi-modular? Are they all cables you need?

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Semi-modular has only the motherboard connector attached, and all other are modular and the product details show which cables are included...

If you can afford it, go with the EVGA. For cable management, either one is better than non-modular and unless your PC is running constantly the efficiency rating isn't as important.

If you're curious, here's a pretty straightforward summary of various efficiency ratings and what it means... http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2012/august/80-plus-platinum-what-does-it-mean-and-what-is-the-benefit-to-me

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Big help! Thanks!

[comment deleted]
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

EVGA included cables:

• 24 Pin ATX: 1x
  • EPS (CPU): 2x 8pin (4+4)
  • PCIE: 4x 8pin (6+2)
  • SATA: 9x
  • Four-Pin Peripheral: 6x
  • Floppy: 1x

Corsair included cables:

• 1 x 24pin main connector
  • 1 x 8pin EPS12V CPU
  • 2 x PCI-E
  • 5 x SATA
  • 4 x Peripheral
  • 1 x Floppy
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

[comment deleted]
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

The only cables are attached to it are the one's that you need like the 24 pin connector.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Any others?

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Cpu/eps

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

The evga is far better in quality, efficiency, and warranty. Plus it's bigger, which means it will likely run quieter, be even more efficient at high loads, and last longer.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Since you said that the EVGA PSU is better than the Corsair CX line, is this EVGA PSU as good in quality as the EVGA one you're saying is better? It is in the same line. Does it apply to everything you said about the last one? This is what you said:

"better in quality, efficiency, and warranty. Plus it's bigger, which means it will likely run quieter, be even more efficient at high loads, and last longer."

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes. It's not gold rated, but still much better than the corsair cx series. It's about even or slightly better than a corsair HX series.

Being 750w, it's bigger than you need, but if you sli with a second gpu later, it's a good one. That said, it has an awesome deal right now on newegg, so I'd grab it as it ends up being cheaper also.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I would say that the CX500 is marginal for a 970. I would go with the 650W for safety.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

AAAAAHHHH! Everybody's saying different things! I can't decide!

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly, despite what people say on here, the web says that 500W is enough. I'll stick to it.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

500w is minimum what it should have. That doesn't mean it's the best idea, just the minimum.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

What about this PSU? Is it as good or better than the EVGA I linked in my last message to you?

According to the PSU Tier List, it's probably the best you can get for the price, as it's a fraction behind Tier One PSUs. But, I want your opinion. Is it good for being $20 more expensive?

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

That's a good one too. Seasonic is well respected and it has a decent price on Amazon right now

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube