add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Cooler Master Nepton 120XL vs be quiet Dark Rock 3

coolguy562

60 months ago

These are the two coolers I've narrowed my selection down to which one would you recommend, the nepton 120XL and the Dark Rock 3 I chose that one over the pro because it is quieter. I like the cooler master because it can run very quiet, comes with 2 fans, would look much cleaner in my windowed case, and the logo had a white led which would look good with my other white leds. With the dark rock it is slighty less expensive, only has one fan an no pump, but may look a bit put of place having a giant block of metal in my case and may obstruct ram. I am using a 2x4 kit of G.Skill ares 1600mhz would this cooler fit. It would go in a thermaltake commander g42 case which is a pretty big case so im not that worried about hieght. Also it may be more of a hassle to install. So which one do you recommend? Thanks!

Comments

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

The dark rock is better. If you ever want an aio it has to be at least a dual 120 otherwise it will not cool as much. The dark rock will cool the cpu better.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, then how does the Nepton 240M compare

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

It really depends on your cpu and if its overclocked. It will definately cool better than the dark rock 3 but without knowing what cpu or if its overclocked then I can really tell you much. Also the dual heat sink cpu coolers have about the same performance to 240 water coolers.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the fx 6350 at stocks speeds since it is an ocd 6300 and it runs fine at stock. Im leaning towards the 120mm version since it is much cheaper and my current 120mm rad keeps the cpu at 47C under load and it only has 1 fan and the nepton is better than the one i have which i the antec kuhler h2o 650

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

If your more lenient towards that then i can see you are already looking to buy it then since you want confirmation for it.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Umm...sure? I just wanted to know how the dark rock compated since I like that one too i just dont know if I'll like the look of a giant block of metal in my case. Even if it is better it cant be by a big margin

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Hard comparison. For efficiency the Dark Rock is better. For absolute performance the AIO probably outperforms the air but it comes at a cost. The AIO will die far sooner, it has far more moving parts, it does require maintenance - tho minor - and it will be noisier - eventually. This isn't against these two units but the difference with the two types. AIO can dazzle and it's superior for space efficiency on the die. The Air is superior for simplicity. The Dark Rock in particular is a really handsome unit to boot. The fit and finish is spectacular. The board attachment is a royal PITA. You will only want to do it once and be sure you get it right the first time. :( Pick your poison.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Ya ik, I am using an AIO right now an personally like the clean look since I have a window with everything color coordinated, sleeved cables, the whole 9 yards (for the most part). I don't mind cleaning the aio every so often because I will be doing a total clean out the rig every spring so it doesn't bother me. I don't mind how efficient it is. I have heard a lot of good things about both coolers. How fast I dies doesn't bother me either since in a few years I'm hoping to build and all out system with a full custom loop. As for the Dark Rock, yes it looks amazing, Noctua could take some lessons form them, but I don't think a big block of metal would look very good in my system, also there is the issue of interference with ram I have a 2x4 kit of G.Skill ares 1600 so not very high ram but I will eventually get another 2 sticks which will pose a problem.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube