add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Will Windows 10 be Subscription based?

RoxasForTheWin
  • 65 months ago

I know that current Windows 7/8/8.1 users get a free upgrade, but do we have any confirmation to if it'll be subscription based after that first initial year? I might be sounding paranoid, but I just want to be sure that I won't have to pay a subscription (I'd rather just buy a full version than pay a subscription)

Comments

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

no it will not, there seems to have been some confusion though

http://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-windows-10-will-not-be-sold-as-a-subscription/

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

THANK GOD! Thanks man, I was worried I would have to miss out on D12

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

After a lengthy and healthy debate at work (I'm in IT), we came to a general consensus of what this will probably mean for 'joe user'. (all conjecture of course, but a likely scenario)

For most users and gamers, it'll be business as usual. You'll likely see little to no impact. However, if you're in IT and you're using features like EFS or GPO editing and RDP sessions, its likely that these will be bundled in some fashion to a subscription based model.

Ideally I'd like to see it split straight up the middle. Include basic versions and Ultimate Media versions as non subscription based and one-time-fee basis. Leaving Enterprise and Pro models (or whatever they're going to name the Business client) as Subscription based, or parts thereof (through DLC modules or whatever).

Although as interesting as this all is for Microsoft (and soon to be lucrative through subscriptions), one thing is for sure. Corporations absolutely hate paying for ongoing license fees. I wouldn't be surprised if the 'joe user' and gaming community forges ahead with newer and more recent versions of Windows, while Corporations stay behind as they don't want to incur the additional ongoing charges.

Just my 2cents.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

I would agree with this. A hard conversion for millions of consumers to a new payment scheme seems very unlikely.

But I have seen recent articles from Microsoft Execs talking about offering a monetized subscription of some kind to make up for revenue lost on phones and tablets.

Seems like a free base OS is likely with added subscription based services like the current office365 plan.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

No... You have 1 year to get it free as an upgrade... If you wait till it's too late, youll have to buy it like usual. That's all it says.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, I wasn't sure as the sentence was weird to me

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem. A few news sites went back after and clarified it with Microsoft after the event.

• 65 months ago
  • 0 points

Yes, for first time you need to subscribe.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

So you have to pay a subscription? I heard it was free for the first year, but I'm not sure if that means the upgrade is free or if the first year of service is free

• 65 months ago
  • 2 points

That doesn't sound like a subscription to me. It's not even in the fine print.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright Thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube