add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Win 8 Generic copy

ered6
  • 65 months ago

I see some other people in this forum mentioned needing an OS, and with W10 approaching, I was wondering if it's worth making the jump to an official copy of 8.1. Admittedly, I spent most of my money building my new PC (assembled Dec 24) and though I'm sure I could get the 70$ copy of Win 8.1 Pro for students, I want to see if I have any other options first.

1) Will I be able to upgrade to Win 10 with my generic-key-activated Win 8 Pro? 2) If not, is it worth purchasing a copy of 8.1 just so I can be eligible for the upgrade? 3) Does any kind soul have a spare key for Win 8.1 Pro x64? ;_;

Thanks so much

Comments

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

As long as its a legally activated copy of Windows I don't see how you would have an issue getting windows 10.

The only thing to worry about upgrades is in the past I know you have occasionally put in the original disk it came on and the original product key. So if you were to ever need to reinstall windows it might be a hassle.

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

their is no need to upgrade to 10 as windows 8.1 has support until at least 2024

• 65 months ago
  • 1 point

As long as its a legally activated copy of Windows...

Ditto.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube