add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Thermaltake Frio vs Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Fastmaster7

84 months ago

I would like to know if the thermaltake frio is worth the higher price for its cooling capacity. Can anyone give me clear facts?

Comments

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

are you going to overclock? If not, the hyper 212 evo is perfect.

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

yes oc

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

Clear facts, the larger the radiated surface, the better it will cool. The radiator on the frio is much larger, therefore it will cool much better. The 212+ (and now the evo) is a very solid performer in its price range. It used to perform better than some of the pricier air coolers.

In the end, custom water cooling loops offer the best cooling. This is mostly due to radiator size and the size of the tubing. Next comes the closed loop water cooling systems led by the new dual 140mm corsair part. Then comes "big air". (pretty close behind actually).

The Frio is bigger in every dimension than the 212 EVO. Plus it has two fans instead of one. Consider this result as being close at least. Toms Hardware Heatsink Test

Have you considered closed loop water? They generally perform similar with a smaller system. Plus there are no RAM height considerations to take into account. (Sometimes big air interferes with RAM making it so you can't use the first two slots).

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

Specifically the Antec Cooler 620

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the info

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

I do know about water cooling and have considered doing a full custom loop in the near future. However, I will not consider closed loops unless they offer a temperature difference that will justify the price

• 84 months ago
  • 3 points

Big air systems compete quite well with closed loop systems dollar for dollar. The thing about the closed loop systems that I like are:

• Smaller and much easier to work with than big air.
  • No motherboard torque
  • Won't cover ram slots
  • Does an excellent job of cooling, even on major overclocks. This is generally where closed loop water can pull away from big air.

I admit to being biased. I went from Asetec LCLC 120 to Corsair H50 to Corsair H80 (which is awesome BTW!!!!!)

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I can see how the water cooling setup is easier while offering better temps

• 83 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree here and not debating but one thing OP needs to consider is space available...

• 83 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is your facts:

Temperature Stock (Idle/Load) – Overclock (Idle/Load) : Heatsink Brand and Name:

26/50 – 30/70 : CORSAIR H100 29/52 – 32/74 : CORSAIR H80 29/52 – 34/75 : CORSAIR H70 31/51 – 37/73 : COOLER MASTER V6GT 31/51 – 38/73 : THERMALTAKE Frio 32/53 – 38/75 : PROLIMATECH Genesis (dual stock fan) 32/54 – 38/76 : NOCTUA NH-C14 32/54 – 38/76 : NOCTUA NH-D14 31/52 – 38/79 : EVGA M020-00-000234 Superclock CPU Cooler 31/57 – 38/80 : Coolink Corator DS 33/58 – 40/80 : COOLIT VANTAGE 33/58 – 40/81 : Gelid Tranquillo 32/57 – 41/83 : COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus 33/58 – 40/84 : CORSAIR H60

*39/72 – 49/100 : INTEL/AMD CPU Cooler

thermaltake frio out performs.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube