add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Carrying Around an OS on a Flash Drive

Jesus_Smith_Nandez
  • 64 months ago

So I was thinking: would it be possible to put something like Steam OS on a flash drive hooked up for streaming from my home computer around with me and boot directly from it to play games on school and library computers? Another thing I would be thinking of doing is putting Windows on a flash drive to use Windows on a few public computers in my school that only have Mac OS.

The Steam OS thing is purely experimental, I just want to see how well the streaming works and exploit it as much as possible.

I know it should, in theory, be possible, but I have no idea how to do it without installing my new OS onto the public computer I'm on, which would be less than ideal. Anyone with any experience here?

Comments

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

I think usually the bios and other boot options could be locked on computers at school and such. IT usually doesn't want people messing with them; so good luck. It might be easier to just install steam every time you want to stream a game, as long as you know the computers get wiped every night. And can you stream games outside of your local internet from steam?

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think that will work, as you would have to install the OS through your USB, basically you would be installing a new OS

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Just you are converting USB to bootable device. In booting order you are selecting USB. Enjoy OS installation

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube