add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Trying to move Windows to my new SSD without a clean install

LukusAreulius
  • 64 months ago

I just got my shiny new 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, and of course I don't have enough space to clone my 1TB HDD over to it. To get Windows on to the SSD, I could do a clean install, but I don't want to reconfigure EVERYTHING. (If there is a way to clean install and migrate all my settings over, please tell me about it! I would love to clean install if it were not for losing settings and other stuff.) So, what I want to do is move Windows over to the SSD, while leaving my other files on the HDD. This can be done automatically with a $20 program, but I am not eager to buy that as I just purchased an SSD. I found this page which seems promising, but I am confused by some things on it:

Prepare the SSD – You first have to initialize the SSD to create the MBR. You can do that with Disk Management or with this program (which you will need later anyhow).

What is "initializing the SSD"? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the MBR is loaded at boot and tells the computer which partition on which drive to load Windows off of. So how do I initialize my SSD, or is it not needed?

In Windows7, you may have the 100MB active boot partition. The easiest way to deal with that is to move the bootmgr to the C: partition using EasyBCD. That you do on your HDD before you transfer anything to the SSD. Then you do not have to worry about it and you need only transfer the C: partition to the SSD.

The section from that quote down to "The OS Transfer" is a bit confusing. I have found from some google searches that the 100mb partition should contain recovery files and maybe the MBR (I'm not very sure) and is important to keep. I got EasyBCD and followed the instructions that are linked, but my C:\ partition is on my HDD, not my SSD. Is it safe to change the drive letter of my current boot partition (on my HDD) to a different letter so I can change my SSD's letter to C, or is it not needed? Anyways, I don't have a 100mb partition on my HDD, so what do I do for this? Is the built-in Windows transferring utility good (mentioned in "The OS Transfer" section)? This is a screenshot of my Windows Disk Management utility. Disk 1 is the SSD.

If I have any other questions, I will add them with "EDIT:" below this. If you need clarification on anything or more information about my system, I am happy to provide it. And remember, I don't want to do a clean install of Windows unless it is the only option or if there is a way to transfer over all my settings.

EDIT: I got my computer working by tweaking for about a day, no clean install needed. I don't remember the steps that I took exactly, and I am the kind of guy who loves tweaking; for most users a clean install is the best option.

Comments

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

For Samsung SSDs (like yours), you can use their Data Migration Software.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

I just tried to use the data migration software from Samsung. I found that it is a piece of s***, because it only searches for media files and specific other file types to exclude from the cloning. Do you have any other recommendations for transferring the OS, or should I just delete the stuff from my drive and restore the lost data with my external drive?

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Other than that, I think your best bet is a clean install.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

I got it without a clean install in a sorta ghetto way. I used disk imaging to transfer my Windows installation to my SSD, EasyBCD to make the MBR work, a Windows Recovery Disk to fix some boot errors, and some registry edits and safe mode to get the user working. Now my computer works fine and it was fun to do the tweaking, but I agree that a clean install is the easiest option for the average user.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Post at your first link is dated four years ago. Refer to your cloning software for current procedure.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube