add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

SeaSonic P-660 660W 80+ Platinum

frostmourne7
  • 63 months ago

So, the power supply in our computer just exploded 2 months ago and i'm thinking of replacing it with a very good one(looking at the SeaSonic P-660). I'm planning using the other components(processor, mobo, vga, storage, memory) until the next 2-3 years together with the power supply before disposing them because the usage will only be include creating documents, internet surfing, streaming videos(that doesn't need HD-4K resolutions), some games that the vga and processor can handle and other average stuff that can be used in this build.

• Processor: Intel Core2Duo 2.93Ghz
  • CPU Cooler: Intel Stock
  • Motherboard: Asus P5KPL-AM EPU mATX
  • VGA: Palit 9500 GT 512MB
  • Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB
  • Memory: Kingston ValueRAM 2GB DDR2 800

From time to time, i'll be adding a SSD, another mechanical drive(probably 1TB) because i'm assuming the 500gb hard drive will die 2-3 years after.

The question is, is the psu(SeaSonic p-660) worth it right now to be included in my current build and for my future use(the time i will dispose other components and replace them with new ones)? Or is it too much for the current components?

Thanks!

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 4 points

I would go with a evga g2 750 watt, it should be cheaper and is just as good, it should easily last you ten years if not more.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

+1

I have the 850w version.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

i've read some reviews and i couldn't agree more. but do you think it can outclass corsair's ax760 even if it's just a gold efficiency psu? thanks!

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

No i don't, they are the same tier. the corsair is more effeicent but it costs a lot more.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

i see. if money won't be a problem then i should go with the ax760 since you said it's more efficient. thanks man.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

I have the, SeaSonic 660W 80+ Platinum Certified, on my build I did about 10 months ago, and I HIGHLY recommend it. Also keep in mind, SeaSonic is the "go to" manufacture, for many of the quality name brand PSU's on the market. Are SeaSonic PSU's a little on the costly side? "YES." But keep in mind, you are paying for a extremely well built PSU, and years down the road, you'll still be enjoying that highly efficient SeaSonic PSU.:)

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

It.. It Exploded? What?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Corsair AX860 is best under the 860 watts version.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

i see. but i think 860 watts would be too much on a home use desktop since i'm not planning on overclocking it too much or doing an sli/crossfire or more. anyway, thanks for the input. i'll consider it for any future builds.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube