add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Seeking help in choosing a motherboard

angelbel
  • 64 months ago

I can't seem to make a decision when it comes to choosing a motherboard. I've been watching and reading countless reviews, I've narrowed it down to a few: Asus Z97 Pro, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, or Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H. I'm open to suggestions on other motherboards as well. Here's my potential build if that helps: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BQKBWZ Its going to be a gaming build and my first build, needless to say I'm a complete noob lol

Comments

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Since all uses the same chipset, select according to features provided.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Any of those are good. But if you decide to go with Gigabyte, I suggest the sort of "up-rated" version of that same board, which for some reason is selling cheaper from Amazon and NewEgg, although it was originally supposed to be a bit MORE expensive. (NewEgg starts at $10 lower base price, plus an additional $20 rebate just now -- down to $145, vs. $175 for your current selection.) To be clear -- it's really just the same board all around, except this version has black heat sinks instead of the gold, and it's got some hours of stress-testing done, that's supposed to certify it for high-reliability. That latter is kind of a gimmick, maybe? But you can't argue with the fact that it seems a good deal -- SUPPOSEDLY higher-reliability rated, but selling for cheaper.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz97xud5hbk

There's the same choice of two versions for the next lower board in the series, the -UD3H vs. -UD3H-BK. As I say -- no difference in the hardware/features. So if you PREFER the gold color, then never mind. But in all other respects, I'd go for the "Black" version.

Honestly the Gigabyte -UD5H (either color) seems to have it over the others on price/features even before the discount, in my view. I see the dual LAN ports as a real value bonus, whereas MSI just added a bunch of extra USB-3 ports, which seem unnecessary to me. To get dual LAN from ASUS, you'd have to go all the way up to their Z97-Deluxe, which is in the $260-280 range. That would be my "ideal" ATX Z97 board, but man... lotta money. MSI doesn't have dual-LAN on any Z97 model, that I can find. Not saying you need dual-LAN anyway. Just that it's one of the only practical features that would make me consider paying more than about $160 for Z97.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your help! I didn't know there was a "black edition", which I do prefer over the gold!

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Three of them are decent motherboards.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

I current have the MSI gaming 7 and i can tell you that it is a great board. The BIOS was so easy to use and setup. Also has some great features for OCing like OC genie and OC profiles as well as real-time temperature readings. Also the onboard audio is great for headsets. It is a high quality board that also looks very nice with the red color.

I know Asus also has nice OCing features and they always make quality products. As for the gigabyte one I don't know, but it seems like boatrat gave a great description of one.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your input! Nice to hear from someone who owns one of the motherboards. Decisions, decisions lol

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

I would ditch the optical drive if I were you, And definitely go with the gigabyte board.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube