add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best Price To Get Windows 8.1 64 Bit Legally?

zRayWill
  • 64 months ago

So, I'm trying to find website, where I can buy the Windows 8.1 OS as cheap as possible, because I am in a tight budget for my PC build.

Comments

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually, you might want to wait for Windows 10 if you can. I can imagine a cheap price tag on it to drive away Windows XP users; $50 would be nice :) Maybe use Linux Mint in the mean time?

• 64 months ago
  • 2 points

Windows 10 is a free upgrade to anyone who owns Windows 7, 8, or 8.1, so there's no point in waiting.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

I know, but I'm saying why pay $90 now when you can use an equally good (if not better) OS (Linux) in the mean time while you wait for Windows 10, which is surely going to be cheap?

• 64 months ago
  • 3 points

You know how much I love linux. But for some people it just isn't a good fit, due to its continued reliance on things like the command line that require people to put in some significant effort at learning the OS. I know, it's possible to get by on Linux without going into terminal, but sooner or later it always seems I get sucked into using it.

Then there's the issue of compatibility, which is still a huge issue for many gamers. I just recently had a kid go from a $400 estimate to a $450 estimate with a lower gaming performance capability just because he absolutely had to have Windows on there for that reason.

• 64 months ago
  • 2 points

Fair enough point, but I personally think that Linux is improving everyday, and with more "gaming" distros coming out (Ozon and SteamOS, for example) I think Linux is starting to gain traction with gamers.

• 64 months ago
  • 2 points

Oh absolutely; I use it in my living room and design "consoles" (where you just fire it up and never configure it at all) with it all the time. But he should also know about the Windows options if waiting/learning isn't an option.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

I found a good and cheap Windows 7 OEM license on Amazon, which I assume vets their sellers. Reviews said it came with a legit COA sticker and everything. If you hunt around on Amazon, you might be able to do similarly.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're a student, your school might participate in a program to get Windows for free. Search "Onthehub," and you can see if your school is on the list.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube