add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First time builder - can't figure out how to install PSU

oHAMBURGLARo
  • 62 months ago

I'm building my first rig and I'm having trouble figuring out where all the PSU cables go. Here is my build (note that the picture does not have the PSU or GPU installed).

I'm having particular trouble with the GPU. The connectors on the GPU are 4+4 and 3+3 and the GPU came with this Y-splitter adapter things, and I don't know if I'm supposed to use them. The VGA cables that came with the PSU are 3+3 with a 1+1 thing attached. I tried plugging this whole 8-pin assembly directly into the PSU, but it would fit. Right now I have 6 of the pins plugged into the Y-splitter that came with the GPU but I don't know if that is correct. Please help me make sure I don't fry everything. Here are some pictures.

messy cables

4+4 into two sets of 3+3 Y-splitter

what I have right now

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The splitter is only needed for older power supplies that don't have a 4+4 or 8 pin pci power cable. Most modern power supplies do, so just plug into the card directly and don't use the splitter

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, I figured it out. I plugged two 6+2 cords into the PSU and one of them into the 8-pin spot on the GPU and the other into the 6-pin spot on the GPU with the 2-pin part hanging off. Thanks for all the help.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube