add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows or Linux?

Kumiko
  • 64 months ago

I plan on gaming mostly, but I also want an optimal OS that is safe from malware/viruses and light on resource consumption. Linux can do many things Windows can't, but my main concern is can Linux run all games designed for Windows? Yes, I know there is "Wine", but I'm worried it won't support all the games of my choice. Should get Windows later in case Wine doesn't support some games I want to play?

Comments

• 64 months ago
  • 3 points

I use Linux at the moment (Ubuntu GNOME 14.10). It's awesome. You may need to do some tinkering around in terminal depending on what you're doing though (you rarely need to, though. I'm just comfortable there now :P). Wine and PlayOnLinux are great programs, but what games do you plan to play? Windows 10 sounds like it'll be the best Windows yet, and I've tried it in a VM and it's awesome, so maybe if you have a Windows 7/8.1 license use that until then. If you don't that doesn't really matter because 10 will probably sell for cheap to rival OSX and Linux.

I'm not sure what razerpc is saying about the AMD build thing, Catalyst has drivers for Linux now, so...

Did I mention I don't have an antivirus and I haven't gotten anything yet? Try that on Windows :D

website

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

I watched a youtube video about the things that make Linux better, and the 1 that stuck out the most was Security. Linux has little or no back-doors for hackers, viruses, ect. :D Idk anything about Windows 10 yet, but I certainly hope it is greatly improved compared to the older Windows OS's. :) Thanks for the info, and is VM or Virtual Box better?

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Was that the one by Spatry (Cup of Linux guy)? And yeah, there is only a few hundred viruses in the wild I'm pretty sure. That might sound like a lot, but keep in mind Windows has - literally - millions :P Windows 10 is really good. Plus the stock wallpapers are better than 8's haha.

VM = Virtual Machine

You run VMs in a VM program, like VirtualBox. I don't like VirtualBox but I have to use it because Linux's awesome virt-manager isn't being nice to me. I'll have to try again later.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

YES :D Spatry. I may wait to see what Windows 10 can do before I decide on Win10 or Linux.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, it'll be tough. I think I will go with Linux since I'll have a Ducky and Logitech G502, botth have onboard memory. I can save my profiles to it from my Windows 7 machine :D

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

What do you mean by Ducky and On-board Memory??? :\

• 64 months ago
  • 3 points

As big a Linux booster as I am, I'm afraid Wine really doesn't cut it as a means of playing WIndows games. Some stuff will work, some stuff you can make work, and some stuff just won't work. Wine is an amazing technical achievement, but that's not how Linux was meant to run software.

I'm interested to see how Valve's SteamOS pans out.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Should I just have have both OS's? Windows for gaming, and Linux/Ubuntu GNOME for everything else? I like Ubuntu, but if Wine doesn't support the games of my choice, I'll probably be forced to buy Windows anyway just to play. :(

• 64 months ago
  • 2 points

That's what I do. And yes, it's kinda depressing...

To be fair, there are people out there working on "recipes" for making all kinds of software work under Wine. One project I tried out recently is called PlayOnLinux, which tries to make the whole process painless, but I've had uneven experience with it.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

I heard that running PlayOnLinux with Wine is best choice as it combines compatibility layers to let you run almost anything previously exclusive to Windows. Or something like that anyway. :\

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

That certainly seems to be their goal, but the reality is somewhat different. I recently tried using PlayOnLinux to install the GOG.com version of System Shock 2. The installer crashed at the very end. PlayOnLinux helpfully noticed this and apologized, but offered no hints on why it died or how it might be fixed.

Oddly enough, when I tried installing System Shock 2 in a "generic" Wine environment, the installer still crashed, but it left the game installed and (apparently) runnable. ~shrug~

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

That's odd :\ I wanna have Linux and Windows, but I read somewhere that it's bad to have 2 file systems on 1 HDD or SSD.

• 64 months ago
  • 2 points

For user friendly and gaming -- windows For High security -- Linux

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

I actually considered keeping windows as well just so I can use certain software that only works with windows. I'm almost certain I want Linux even though I will need to adjust to it over time.

• 64 months ago
  • -2 points

If full gaming then Windows but don't cry if you have and AMD build and stilll using linux

• 64 months ago
  • 5 points

Please use grammar I can understand.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want to game Windows is the way to go because developers use it much more then Linux. Lets not forget Linux has terrible driver support for AMD builds

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

I think the driver support is fixed or being updated frequently and Linux has Wine to basically translate windows code so you can play Windows-based games on Linux. Linux is far safer to use as well :D Linux probably has about 1,000 threats out there while Windows has hundreds of thousands or more. Plus, Linux Isolates/Quarantines Viruses, Malware, ect.

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Then dual boot

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

But won't dual-booting use up a bit too much resources? Idk what Linux uses, but Windows is a bit of a hog aside from Win8/8.1.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube