add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

(newbie) what's a good way to tell details about a case you might inherit?

grimpode

58 months ago

My parents had an old XPS from about 08 that recently died. It was a duel core running vista, with decent specs all round and a 550w PSU of unknown origin. My question is, where to find the specs and what kind of mobo it supports and see if it's viable to throw a cheapo system into this case, and if so what's a good way to go about figuring that out?

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Is this an DELL XPS system? Dell uses third parties for their hardware. They integrate the power supply to their system. Meaning, you can not add your own power supply other than Dell. Look in the back of the XPS case, you should see a sticker of model number and serial number along with the vista product code. Dell uses "express service code" and that will tell you everything about the system.

All of the above is based on assuming this is a "Dell XPS" system. if it is not, better tell us more information.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes exactly it IS a Dell XPS system. It just seemed like such a shame to waste the case as it is please to the eye and the only thing really wrong with it is a dead HD. However it's a dual core and running vista so it's going to need some work. I could find out all the stats on it though- i hadn't thought to check that good lookin out!!

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Do not attempt to load that PSU down VERY heavily. Even though XPS systems represent the higher-end Dell components, it is probably getting on in years and should not be strained with more than say 400W worth of components.

The only other thing for you to look out for with this XPS of yours is the power button wiring. Oftentimes Dell used to use a proprietary power button wiring scheme that made it next to impossible to use their cases with your own motherboards in them. What's your power button wiring look like; a whole bunch of wires paired or single, or a group of them terminating in a block?

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

if your going to be sticking money into a pc do it right the first time! I LEARNED THE HARD WAY. now I am redoing my whole setup. you could use ebay for alot of parts. Thats what ive been doing and just WATCH for good deals. might take a while but i have saved well over 110+ now cause ive been keeping my eyes out. Im very close to finishing my build. Cant Wait!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube