add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

MSI Z97-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard: Problem with ram.

Trickard
  • 64 months ago

Using this motherboard and came into a small problem. I'm using Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory to run this thing. I get to thinking, "hay my old ram is still working why not add it to this."

Now it is a bit old, like 5 years old, but it is 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333. When I pull up the BIOS it reads the two 4GB sticks, placed in slot 2 & 4, but it reads nothing in slots 1 & 3. Is it just the age or is it another problem I'm just not seeing. Have not tried them in slots 2 & 4 kinda want the 4GB there.

link to other pc parts

Would like to use the extra 4GB but no big loss if can't work. Just wanting to learn "why" it's not working.

Comments

• 64 months ago
  • 1 point

Motherboard damaged ?

Chk the ram slots carefully.

You bought all the stuff from the list ?

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry for the way late reply, work stuff. The motherboard reads no damage. The other two slots read just fine.

Slots look ok to me, no damage. Did not put the newer ram into the other slots and bios it. And yes all the stuff on the list is what I used for the build.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Get a r9 290 instead of 280x for 247$.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube