add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Asus Maximus Hero Ram compatibility question

Hammcd
  • 83 months ago

so i was looking at the maximus hero board for my new haswell build. This is the link to it on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-MAXIMUS-VI-HERO-Motherboard/dp/B00CXIVEA2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373396463&sr=8-1&keywords=maximus+hero

it lists it as a ddr3 1600 motherboard...i have already bought g.skill 1866 ram. Do i need to find another board labelled as 1866 or will this baord be ok?

thanks

Comments

• 83 months ago
  • 2 points

You don't have to worry. That motherboard supports a standard of 1600, because officially that's what Haswell's memory controller supports. You may find that the maximum default value of your RAM will be set to 1600. All you need to do is turn on the Intel XMP profile in your BIOS, and the correct speed and timings of your RAM should be detected. If not, you can always overclock it.

• 83 months ago
  • 1 point

awesome thanks for the advice

• 83 months ago
  • 1 point

You should be fine running 1866 on that board. At the very least, it may down clock the RAM to 1600 (if it can't run it at 1866).

• 83 months ago
  • 1 point

hmm since ive already bought 1866 ram should i buy a different motherboard to be sure?

• 83 months ago
  • 1 point

The difference in performance from 1866 to 1600 RAM is extremely negligible - I wouldn't return your motherboard even if it only supported up to 1600. However, your motherboard does support 1866 RAM, so you should be ok no matter what.

• 83 months ago
  • 1 point

so i am a noob...the motherboard says 1600 but the ram i have is 1866...will i have to trick the motherboard into thinking the 1866 is 1600 or how does that work?

• 83 months ago
  • 1 point

i guess id like to know if i wasted money on the 1866 if all i will be getting out of it is 1600 no matter how negligible...i can send it back and get a few dollars off and downgrade to 1600 if thats the case

• 83 months ago
  • 1 point

Wouldn't XMP allow it by just a simple profile switch?

• 83 months ago
  • 1 point

i dont know what that means lol..im a noob

• 83 months ago
  • 1 point

XMP is in the memory area of your bios. Sometimes when you install memory it will run at a lower speed. Than it actually runs at, so you look around and find something that says "XMP Profiles" or something along those lines or you have to turn it on, once done it will run at 1600/1866/2133 and so on.

• 83 months ago
  • 1 point

Ahh ty

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube