add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is a 280mm rad enough for a cpu+r9 295x2?

niinq

59 months ago

Hello,

I was wondering if a single 280mm rad would be enough to cool an 88w tdp cpu and the r9 295x2 in one loop. Or should I buy another 240mm rad to go along with the 280mm one? I am not planning on overclocking.

Comments

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, it will be enough to run things at stock or even for mild/medium overclocks. You won't get the full benefits of custom loops (amazing temps with little to no noise), but it will do the trick quite well actually. A lot better than the stock solutions certainly. After all the 295x2 comes with just a 120mm rad. I would recommend that the water goes through your CPU first before going to the GPU though. 88W is not going to make much of a difference to the liquid, but 600W might. And if you do go with just a 280mm rad and don't find it sufficient you can just add another one later. Oh, and by the way, there is a lot of variability, when it comes to 280mm rads. Thin, normal, thick, different fins, different materials, what fans you're using. You could go for 2x140mm fans with good static pressure or 4x140mm fans in push-pull, which would be just fine with fans of lower static pressure as well.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks for the reply. i have decided to go with one 280mm rad and one 120mm rad.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds pretty good. Out of curiosity are you going to use the 120 rad that comes with the 295x2?

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

nope, i can't since it wont let me install different fittings.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Thought there would be something like that. Would be too good of a deal otherwise. Check out the 290x from visiontek. Comes with an OPEN water AIO. $300 for black Friday. Not to be american is a blessing and a curse.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

i've already purchased the 295x2, and i got it for $400 on ebay.

[comment deleted]
  • 59 months ago
  • 2 points

thanks for the reply. the sole reason why i am doing a custom loop is not for practicality; but simply because i want to have a unique system that looks good and that i can be proud of.

[comment deleted]
  • 59 months ago
  • 1 point

damn parents.....

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

same here

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

I removed my PC side panels to cool it down xD

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Soon your case will be affected by dust.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

It was already affected by it as case fans were not working.

Now that PC has retired.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube