add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Need help choosing a case please!

polce24

78 months ago

Hi all, I am interested in the Fractal R4, but I am skeptical that two fans will be enough to cool my system efficiently. I did not really want to get a third fan for it because this is my first build, and I don't really want to complicate things further.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $199.99 @ Microcenter
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $149.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $69.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk $124.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card $405.91 @ Newegg
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $34.99 @ Microcenter
Case Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case $179.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply $127.98 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) $89.74 @ Amazon
Monitor Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor $242.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available. $1733.53
Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-09 18:51 EDT-0400

Comments

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

I wouldn't take a rosewill challenger for that high end of a build. There's really no way to get optimal airflow without adding extra case fans. You know it's not hard at all to add another fan to the r4 right?

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

A third fan is not very complicated. Have trust :). The 650D is a beautiful case, and professionals say it is a joy to work in! The R4 is a very quiet case, with sound deadening material all over the place. I would add a second 140mm fan to the front if you go that route. Get a high static pressure can like a cougar vortex 140. If you get one that has a 3 pin header like the cougar, you can plug it into the existing R4 fan controller and it will be controlled along with the other case fans. ;)

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

the FD R4 is a amazing case. if using the HDD cages, the OE fans are pretty meh. would need a better static pressure to push air past the HDD cages (as all cases should do this). and if in the future water-cooling is a thought, this case can accommodate a pretty good loop for CPU/GPU. the 650d is a fair case (dated) but the price point is far above the R4.

• 77 months ago
  • 1 point

Look at the corsair 500r, the nzxt phantom 630,and the cooler master xm for some competition to the R4 and 650d. Watch review videos of them on YouTube. Especially the ones where they take the entire thing apart and go over each feature. Linustechtips is good for this, as is hardwarecanucks.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube