add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is there a such thing as overkill in terms of power?

JetstreamPete
  • 61 months ago

I'm doing my first build and I'm not sure if getting 600W for this build is too much. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tH9rhM

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

You are A-okay. just remember that the best threshold for a power supply is between 50-80% of its max watt output, otherwise you waste your money, or have a power supply that has fan on full blast all the time, with no room to upgrade to more power hungry components.

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

It's okay to be over as long as you're not so over that you're dipping heavily into funds. You could technically go lower than 600W but there's no need to, especially because the PSU in question has such a great price right now.

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

O_O I have no idea why that would happen. I wasn't there to see it lol

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 2 points

The most important consideration when choosing a power supply is: How many Amps are on the 12volt rail and is it enough to power my GPU.

Also make sure it has the right power connections for your GPU.

As long as the PSU has enough Amps to supply to your Card your good. Ive seen people over look this and its screwed them.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you, is the compatibility check here reliable for this?

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Unfortunately not. You have to look at the PSU and see how many amps are on the 12 volt rail. Usually this is shown under specs of the PSU.

Then you have to find out how many amps your GPU draws. Usually you have to search for that and look at the specs also.

The PSU has to have more amps on the 12 volt rail then the GPU draws.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

OK, I'll look into it. Thank you.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Completely fine, just don't do any overclocking.

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah I have no intention of overclocking

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube