add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Do I need an 8-pin PSU adapter?

sendekyo
  • 61 months ago

I just built a new system; however, my power supply doesn't have an 8-pin ATX 12V power connector. Currently, the 4-pin connector is plugged into this slot, which is fine, but I believe the 8-pin is necessary for overclocking. Yes, replacing the PSU would help, but I wonder if an adapter would work:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812201005

Can someone please correct me if I'm mistaken?

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

I think you have it figured out.

Your PSU only has a 4 pin and your motherboard has an 8 pin. You probably can run it with just the four, but if your going to overclock its best to get that adapter you linked or one like it.

Your PSU still have a 6 pin connector that you can use for a GPU but dont get anything that draws more then 27 amps

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Your PSU only has a 4 pin and your motherboard has an 8 pin. You probably can run it with just the four, but if your going to overclock its best to get that adapter you linked or one like it.

Awesome. Thank you for the reply.

I'm chugging along with just the 4-pin connector for now, but I had read it's best to avoid overclocking without the 8-pin. I hope to purchase that adapter and give my new system a tame OC. That should be a very small investment ($7?) for a pretty nice gain.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea that CPU you have the G3258 is built for overclocking, and your board is a good overclocker too.

A good mild over clock to run all day is 4.2 but I bet you can get 4.5 or higher with your rig.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I had a pretty low target of 3.8 considering I only have the stock cooler. If temps are okay, then I might push it further. Anything 4.0 or higher would be glorious. #LowExpectations lol

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube