• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

kingjavo 38 months ago

I built this PC in 2010 and it has served me very well as it can handle ANY game thrown at it without being overclocked. Only problem is I can't always max out video settings without killing FPS.

I would love to upgrade to save money, but because the PC is so old I'm afraid I can't take advantage of the latest and greatest without rebuilding.

I'd love to hear thoughts or ideas on how I can get a nice upgrade while salvaging some parts or would it be better to sell mine (not sure how or where is the best place) and go with an entirely new build.

I was looking at the Glorious Build on the homepage that I liked, but I think I would upgrade the CPU.

What do you think?

Current PC Built in 2010

Comments Sorted by:

vagabond139 5 Builds -1 points 38 months ago

There is a few things bad with that glorious gaming build, the psu would be near full load when the gpu are under heavy and that psu isn't fond of being under load on the 12v rail. Also you can get two R9 290X's for cheaper and they will just as good if not better than two GTX 970's. The Evo 840 are currently having issues and The ram is over priced.

With your build you can reuse the HDD, case, optical, and ram if its ddr3 . Also getting a i7 for gaming will be pointless because very few games use hyperthreading and both cpu's will be out dated by the time hyperthreading is a must.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $219.75 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Swiftech H240-X 90.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler -
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $129.99 @ Amazon
Storage Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $69.98 @ OutletPC
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 290X 4GB PCS+ Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $333.98 @ Newegg
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 290X 4GB PCS+ Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) $333.98 @ Newegg
Case Corsair Carbide Series 300R Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case $78.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply XFX ProSeries 1050W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $159.99 @ Amazon
Other Swifttech H240-X $189.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1551.65
Mail-in rebates -$35.00
Total $1516.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-03 16:02 EST-0500

It has the best AIO cooler out there and will even allow you to expand on it to make a custom loop, get it while you can, there is a patent issue on it so they are very hard to buy new. I had to change cases because the cpu cooler wouldn't fit in your original case.

kingjavo submitter 2 points 38 months ago

Thanks for the advice!

So are you saying I should go for the build you proposed or try to upgrade? My RAM is DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600).

Will that be useful?

vagabond139 5 Builds -1 points 38 months ago

I would with the build I made and reuse the ram and the hdd and the optical drive. Its more of a rebuild than a upgrade.

Can I use my current Case for all these components?

vagabond139 5 Builds 2 points 38 months ago

No, the cooler will not fit..

Do you think the PowerColor is safe? I've read reviews of folks complaining about it freezing or crashing their PC. The CPU Cooler... this only recommended for overclocking CPU or just to cool those two GPUs?

Thanks for all the help!

vagabond139 5 Builds 2 points 38 months ago

Powercolor is fine, I don't recommend stuff I wouldn't buy my self. the cpu cooler can cool the cpu and the gpu if you buy the stuff to do so, I have barely any knowledge on custom loops so I can't recommend you anything.

tingzur 1 point 38 months ago

Another option would be to upgrade the Motherboard+CPU+RAM+GPU+OS and keep your old Case+PSU+HDD+optical+peripherals. Then sell or part out your old Mobo/CPU/RAM/GPU/OS.

Stay with the enthusiast platform if you can afford it:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor $373.95 @ SuperBiiz
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Nepton 120XL 76.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $89.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI X99S SLI Plus ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard $184.99 @ Amazon
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory $164.99 @ Newegg
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) $329.99 @ Amazon
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) $329.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) $92.00 @ B&H
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1565.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-03 16:31 EST-0500

Why the Enthusiast? Just curious.

Your old enthusiast x58 platform got you by for ~5 years and so I'd expect the same from the current x99 platform. It seems logical to recommend irregardless of gaming performance ;)

viscas91 1 Build 2 points 38 months ago

X99 will last longer than Z97.

viscas91 1 Build 0 points 38 months ago

Get a r9 290 now for 250$ and wait for AMD 300 series or GTX 980 ti.....will be coming between April and June.

Where can you pick these up for $250? Also, can I use my current Case for all these components?

Should I wait for April instead?

Eschaton 6 Builds 0 points 38 months ago

You can definitely upgrade that PC significantly by overclocking that CPU (I'd set a goal of 3.5ghz w/ overvolting using your present hardware), buying a fourth 2gb RAM stick, and upgrading your GPU to something like a 280X, 285, 290X, or 970. Otherwise you're all good to go.

I'm running a similar build - Xeon W3680 (same generation as your 920) + 2x GTX 760 2gb in SLI, with 12gb 1333mhz RAM. It works very well for all modern games @ 1080p.

Not sure I follow what you mean by "overvolting"? Did you mean to say "overclocking"?

Also, I'm at 16 GB of ram 4 x 4GB sticks. Can't add a 2GB stick per your comment.

Those GPU's you mention... are those older so they can fit on an X58 board?

Eschaton 6 Builds 2 points 38 months ago

1) Overvolting is part of the overclocking process. In order to make your CPU run more stably at higher frequencies, we need to shove more electricity through its circuits. This process is known as overvolting. You can look up how to do this in your motherboard manual, and find guides on standard procedures for safe overvolting elsewhere online.

2) If you have 16gb of RAM then you don't need 2 more gb, lol, so that's fine.

3) Like I said, my motherboard is X58 (same generation of CPU, remember?) and it therefore features PCI-E 2.0 technology. This is only one generation behind the latest (PCI-E 3.0), and is still very widely used. Since PCI-E 3.0 cards like the GTX 760 are backwards-compatible with PCI-E 2.0, you can easily get modern GPU performance into that build without upgrading your mobo/CPU combo. Currently, performance differences between PCI-E 3.0 and 2.0 are almost nil.

Any good links on overclocking this setup?

Eschaton 6 Builds 0 points 38 months ago

probably; did you try google?

Yeah, but didn't find my specific cpu and mobo on my initial search.

kingjavo submitter 1 point 38 months ago

Would it be worth it to max out my motherboard with the best Video Card(s) it can accept to get me by for a few years?

I'm not sure what the best is for that AsRock X58 Extreme model, but I currently have 2 cards @ 1 GB a piece Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express Crossfired.

I may go this route if not too expensive and will get me running at the best video quality settings.

It can be worth it especially now that you got your feet wet with overclocking. I was hesitant to recommend upgrading the GPU in the beginning for this very reason. It's difficult to say for sure which video card would be best without knowing exactly which games and what resolution you play them at as well as what sort of image quality settings you prefer.

kingjavo submitter 1 point 38 months ago

One thing that really annoys me about my current PC is how LOUD it is... any advice on quite fans or machines in general to avoid this issue with my new build?

Your current system is about to get louder thanks to an overclocked CPU. Perhaps changing the video card will lower overall system temperature and allow the case fans to rotate slower. I'm not sure what you've got for system cooling but your old video cards are probably loud and together create far more heat than most any single card. Speaking of system cooling, you could upgrade the case fans if you want to throw a little more money at your old rig.

Noctua makes some of the most quiet fans if you don't mind spending extra for quality. There are other brands as well if you don't like how they look.