add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

OCD'ing Over PSU - Advice Needed

spankyboy0710
  • 61 months ago

Hi guys,

I researched and honed in on a XFX XTR 650w Gold and got it on sale for $50. Price was the deciding factor, although I've read great things about these.

PCPARTPICKER says my build will use 467w. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/JxKKbv

It seems like I'll be fine, even if I decide to do a little OC'ing on the CPU and/or GPU, right? And I mean a little, if any at all. I'm a big proponent of headroom.

What's got me worried is the GPU manufacturer's recommended wattage. The XFX GPU website is saying minimum 750w and ideal 850w. Extreme's calculator is recommending a 500w. I'm sure it's been asked before, but whose recommendation do I heed?

Should I look into a CX750M Bronze, that I can get for about $65 with MIR, or will I be fine with the 650 XFX Gold with a mild OC? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

You don't need +200-250W of power even when you're OCing. I see too many people getting 750-850W PSUs just because they'll be overclocking, and they ignore modularity, quality, and efficiency.

The 650W is more than enough. Don't even worry about it.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

That is good to know. Worrying is what I do best. Thanks for your help.

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

That's good info. Thanks for your help. I feel good about the 650 now.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube