add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

how accurate is the wattage estimate?

mattnauck
  • 61 months ago

my build estimates I will have 307watts .I only purchased a 430 w Psu. I just got my gpu in the mail and it says I need a minimum 500watt psu. Will I be fine or do I need to upgrade? No plans on over clocking just yet. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/G376jX

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Just seeing an earlier post asking same question... lol whoops. But For Peace Of mind Please answer.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

The PSU calculator on this site is pretty inaccurate, since it uses TDPs instead of actual power draw measurements to calculate the wattage. I would recommend going with Nvidia's recommended 500w minimum for a build with a 970 instead of PCPP's inaccurate rating. You're cutting it dangerously close.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you should be fine if you don't oc, the manufacturers power recommendations are assuming you're using a bottom of the pile low quality psu.

IIRC Phillip has posted in a similar thread before and measured a wattage variation of, again iirc, 35w between site estimate & kill-a-watt readings.

For my part I don't agree with spending ~$20 to power $500+ (cpu/gpu) worth of cutting edge electronics, just seems like you're asking for trouble to me.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah even on MSI power supply calculator site I was 310 so if the maker of the graphics card calculates that, I would think a 430 would be enough but the box says minimum 500 so I was a little concerned

• 61 months ago
  • 0 points

It's always a good idea to trust the gpu manufacturer... Especially when they give the higher estimate. There's more to it than getting the minimum you need to power a system and the gpu companies factor that in.

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 0 points

The actual draw is something the gpu companies factor in. They know the difference between tdp and reality

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube