add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Build cooling

Karl0508

59 months ago

Hey guy this is my build http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/zD9tqs

I'm super close to my budget

i can just about afford to swap the Hyper 212 for the seidon 120v

which would people suggest to cool the a10 7850k???

Comments

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

the hyper 212 evo is a better option and would perform better than the seidon 120v.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you

I know this is a super cheap build

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

yes this is a nice build and the hyper evo 212 fits in the case.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Going to start ordering friday :)

EDIT

only thing i was thinking about was the CORE V21

What you think?

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

The Hyper 212 EVO is plenty.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you

I know this is a super cheap build and would like to spend more

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

I know plenty of relatively high end builds that use the 212 EVO, so it is plenty for most things.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think the 212 EVO will even fit inside the N200. I just sold one of these N200 boxes with a Hyper T4 installed, which is a shorter HSF, and that was about the limit of what was going to fit.

Here's how to "fix" the build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor £56.04 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler RAIJINTEK AIDOS BLACK 48.6 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler £14.93 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard Asus A88XM-Plus Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard £58.66 @ Scan.co.uk
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £57.77 @ More Computers
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £42.97 @ Amazon UK
Video Card MSI Radeon R7 260 1GB Video Card £75.06 @ Amazon UK
Case Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case £32.86 @ CCL Computers
Power Supply Antec TruePower Classic 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply £53.11 @ Dabs
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WN751ND 802.11b/g/n PCI Wi-Fi Adapter £9.59 @ Aria PC
Monitor BenQ GL2250HM 60Hz 21.5" Monitor £89.99 @ Amazon UK
Keyboard HP DT528AT#ABA Wired Standard Keyboard £9.50 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £500.48
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-09 08:05 GMT+0000

The 7850K APU is non competitive in an environment where you can buy the same CPU (860K) with a more powerful discrete GPU for only slightly more. (At 1080P, you can expect significantly better results with the GDDR5 based R7 260, than with the 7850K's iGPU sharing DDR3 system memory for VRAM. )

The "fast" savage memory isn't as "fast" as it looks. It's configured single rank. The ballistix tactical kit here is actually better in real world workloads for the discrete CPU than using the high speed single rank kit. (the fast single rank kit might be slightly better for the iGPU in the 7850K than this tactical kit, but for raw computing performance on a discrete CPU, rank interleave is going to be more useful than higher frequency.)

Assuming you want to overclock, a motherboard with heatsunk VRMs is advised, thus, the Asus Plus has been selected. On FM2+, there are many more options in ATX form factor to choose from with heatsunk VRMs, so that might be worth a look.

The Antec TPC is a much better quality PSU.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Hello

The problem is my budget i have £460 hence the A10

I can't over spend and cant stretch it any

Have you got any suggestion?

My plan was A10 now then add a R9 270/280 rather than buy an 260 then getting rid of i 6 months down the line

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

You're saying £460 is your limit, but your original build is right at that limit without shipping on several components factored in, so I'm not sure what your "real" limit actually is (would have to be at least £470+ to order what you had originally proposed).

Anyway, here's the build adjusted to include shipping for every item listed, drop the HSF and use the stock one for now. Drop down to a 250X (which is still twice as fast as the iGPU in the 7850K when running a 1080P monitor).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor £54.26 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard Asus A88XM-Plus Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard £62.97 @ Overclockers.co.uk
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £57.77 @ More Computers
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £42.97 @ Amazon UK
Video Card MSI Radeon R7 250X 1GB Video Card £70.09 @ Amazon UK
Case Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case £37.85 @ Dabs
Power Supply Antec TruePower Classic 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply £53.11 @ Dabs
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WN751ND 802.11b/g/n PCI Wi-Fi Adapter £11.77 @ Amazon UK
Monitor BenQ GL2250HM 60Hz 21.5" Monitor £89.99 @ Amazon UK
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total £480.78
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-09 22:17 GMT+0000

Even with a heatsink you can never overclock that 7850K far enough to compete here. The lack of ROP's and memory bandwidth will be a struggle at 1080P in any modern game.

As far as keyboard goes.... Have you thought about picking up one from a thrift store or used market. Heck you could probably find one for free in a friend or relatives storage. Most of the keyboards I've had over the years I've picked up for pennies on the dollar. Some of them still basically brand new.

I'd also encourage looking at used monitors and GPUs, as they loose value fast. An HD7770 (same card as a 250X) will often sell used for half what they go for new. Yesteryear 1680X1050P monitors for £20-30 should be on your list of contenders on a tight budget build.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

and I quote " I don't think the 212 EVO will even fit inside the N200"

you're wrong my friend.....

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mini-tower/n200/

CPU cooler height: w/o 120mm x 25mm side fan: 160mm / 6.3inch

http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/hyper-212-evo/

height = 159 mm

It fits........

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

You'd have to have pretty powerful faith to order an HSF listed as 1mm shorter than the case claims to support.

The heatpipe length, especially the irregularity formed where the pipe is "pinched" off, could easily account for an unavoidable +/-1mm variation in and of itself.

Then there are all the fractions of a mm tolerances that could add up against your favor from the motherboard trays position in the case (easily +/- 0.5mm), to the variations in standoff length from batch to batch (+/-0.05mm), to the thickness of the motherboard (1.5 - 2+mm), variations in socket height from reflow operations (+/-0.2mm), variations in CPU package thickness (+/-0.4mm).

There's no way to know if the 160mm HSF support is given based on the best or worst case scenario for all those tolerances. I would not be willing to test that theory, it's not worth the hassle. Yes there are 212 EVO's installed in N200's out there, that doesn't mean that every 212 EVO is going to always fit in every build inside an N200, there is indeed opportunity for overlap.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

............ if specs say it will fit coolers up to 160mm, means up to 160mm, if the evo is 159mm it will fit. There is no other interpretation..

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

There's no guarantee that every 212 EVO will be <=159mm tall and no guarantee that every possible combination of parts leading up to the gap between the top of the CPU's IHS and side panel will always leave >=160mm clearance. If you can get an official statement from CM claiming that there IS such a guarantee, then fine. Until then, buying that combination of parts is a gamble with potentially overlapping tolerances.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

My vote for Hyper 212.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

You know the FM2 socket specifications alone have +/-0.6mm worth of tolerances just from the socket, reflow, and package, not including variations in motherboard thickness.

My advise: Vote conservative.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube