add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can I at least Run Minecraft if Not Anything Else?!

Faizan

51 months ago

Hey guys, I'm a first time builder here and had to go with a mid-range build, but with a lot of upgradability options. I know the GTX 960 isn't the strongest card, but like I said, this build was built for upgradability.

My question is: How well would my build run Minecraft? I would appreciate it if anybody could tell me how well Minecraft would run on this build under the following conditions:

• Everything on ultra settings
  • Using a custom skin
  • Use of texture packs would be scarce; maybe one here or there if I like it; normal Minecraft look 99.99% of the time
  • Use of mods like Hexxit, etc.; just for fun
  • Use of shaders not necessary; lighting affects included in-game and in different mod packs is good enough
  • Use of the latest version of OptiFine mod; this would be in use every second of every time I play unless another mod is being used ( obviously since you can't use two mods at once)

PC Specs:

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $222.75 @ OutletPC
Motherboard MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $89.98 @ OutletPC
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $66.78 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $69.98 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card $209.99 @ Amazon
Case NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $79.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply XFX XTR 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $66.98 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $866.44
Mail-in rebates -$60.00
Total $806.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-09 22:59 EDT-0400

Will this system run Minecraft under all of the conditions listed above? If so, at what FPS?

Thanks in advance!

• Your friendly beginner, Faizan

Comments

• 50 months ago
  • 3 points

this is like asking if you could kill a rat with a machine gun, with the 960 you could run anything(just on lower settings), its a amazing card and you shouldn't worry. but for mine craft you could max it out and still be fine.

• 50 months ago
  • 2 points

Ha! That first sentence though! I died after reading that sentence! Thanks though!

• 50 months ago
  • 2 points

anytime ahaha

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

The only reason I posted this forum is because Minecraft is very poorly optimized and is also a very CPU intensive game rather than GPU intensive. It can get a maximum of 200 fps with some GTX 980s but can get close to 2000 with some R9 280s!

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

i dont belive that, i can and have gotten 500fps(lowest settings) with my 860m(2g ram) in my laptop, there is no way in hell that a gtx 980 got 200fps. there is also no way the R9 280 dominates the gtx 980 with a 1,800 fps difference or dominates it at all, i suggest re doing that test.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Again, in case you didn't see what I typed, I am in no way suggesting that the R9 280 beats the GTX 980. I said that the game is very POORLY OPTIMIZED. Meaning that it does well with some cards whether they are low-end or not, and does horribly SOMETIMES with high-end cards. It is a very CPU intensive game.

And these are not my tests. You can search the internet however much you want and you'll see how poorly it's optimized for different cards. Yes, everything on the internet is not true, but if 99.99% of the people say something is true, it probably is. Further, there are mod packs and shaders of different types, in case you are not aware, that can bring even a GTX 980 to its knees.

I have seen this repeatedly and am telling you, along with the rest of the world, that because of Minecraft's poor optimization, it can literally crash on high-end cards and run 2000 fps+ on low to mid-range cards. It is very CPU intensive.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

i did do research but i geus it was not enough, reading the phrase "bring even a GTX 980 to its knees" makes me shudder. whatever. back to hours on toms hardware. good luck!

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes it would but I would get a R9 285, its cheaper and faster.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the quick reply!

I would. Sadly, though, a 750W PSU, and a decent one at that, just won't fit in the budget.

Either way, what FPS would I get with those conditions in my case?

• 51 months ago
  • 2 points

You wouldn't need a 750 watt psu for a R9 285, you would be fine with the psu you have and you actually could get a very good 750 watt psu for only $59. I honestly don't know what FPS you would get though, but I am guessing at lest 60FPS.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

What PSU could I get?

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

The Evga B2 750 watt psu is $59 and it is tier 2a.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

First, this should go in the 'Parts List Opinions Wanted' section. And that is more than enough for a simple minecraft build. Your requirements could be met with a build a couple hundred cheaper, easily. Minecraft isn't as demanding as one may think, I believe the main reason people think it is is because they try to run it on basic, cheap computers that aren't built for anything gaming related.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the quick reply!

True, but there are some shader and/or texture packs that can bring even a GTX 980 to its knees, no lie.

But anyway, under my conditions, what FPS would I get?

• 51 months ago
  • 2 points

I haven't looked up MC benchmarks in a while, although I know for a fact the 960 could run it constantly well over 60 FPS. My cheap $500 laptop with integrated graphics gets in the mid-30s on ultra settings in Minecraft, so a 960 should be more than enough.

EDIT: What the heck kind of shader mods bring a 980 down below 60???? Sonic's shaders with a 1024x1024 texture pack???

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks!

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Again, what shaders? This guy runs THIS ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYNrVOXlImI ) on a 560 Ti. Just curious.

EDIT: A guy is running this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrLUuGRxJuk on a 760.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't know exactly what shaders do this, but it's mainly the fact that Minecraft is very poorly optimized. If search anywhere on the internet, in fact, check out the second comment about the NASA computer joke posted on the video you linked me in your edit, the second one. Check out the replies to it and in the first few you'll see people talk about how Minecraft can completely lag-out a GTX Titan, but can be destroyed by something like a GTX 760 like in the video. This is why I was wondering, I hope my card wouldn't have optimization problems.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

With what you're asking? 120-140 fps

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow. A GTX 970, I'm sure and as I've seen, can get around 300fps with what I'm asking, correct?

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Not sure about that it doesn't have the best performance I used to love the 970 but now I, not so sure anymore stick with what you have 140 FPS is about max what monitors can achieve

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Perfect! Thanks buddy!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube