add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Extended mini-ITX Board in mini-ITC case?

mrswoop

57 months ago

Hi folks, I am new here... so forgive me if I approach this incorrectly. But here's my dilemna.

I'm trying to plan my very first build. What I would like to accomplish is a small form-factor (mini-ITX) office server to support several virtualized servers for both production and development/training. I'm beginning with a case dimension, merely because of the location available in a brand new office space and I am specifically looking at the Node 304 (or alternatively similarly sized cases like Cooler Master Elite 130, Thermaltake VL52021N2U, etc).

I am looking to put a Xeon 3 with 32 GB of Ram into it... and therein lies the problem. Mini-ITX boards support only 16GB RAM, but I have found exactly ONE mini-ITX board with 4 DIMM slots supporting 32GB: the ASRock E3C224D4I-14S. While I don't need (wow) 14 SATA ports, the additional RAM is essential. The board is classified as an "extended mini-ITX" board, meaning it fits the mini-ITX mounting but has an extra 43cm of board extending beyond the PCI slot.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with trying to put a board like this into a Node 304 (or similar)?

Thanks, Scott

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

It may be work. But i can't assure you.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I already own a Node 304 and have been eyeing that same board. I just measured inside the case and there is 21.5 cm of room from the top of the motherboard (side opposite the PCI slots, to the side of the case next to the PCI slots. So I think it will fit but it will be just barely within a few mm.

If someone has actually tried this I would LOVE to know for sure as I want to do the same thing.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I just found a review on newegg that says they had to drill new mounting holes to fit it in and couldn't use the IO shield. Bummer.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157486&RandomID=58152671751396920150617082503

[comment deleted]
  • 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Appreciate the feedback. Hoping to hear from someone who has any hands-on experience with this board, or the case. You can see in many build videos that it looks like there's some extra space in the case... just not sure if it would be quite enough.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube