add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

High quality, low noise power supply

Veizin
  • 61 months ago

Hey, guys. Could you please recommend me a high quality PSU for overclocking 600W(or more), which has got a quiet fan? Lower than 850W. I got an XFX 650W and it's really heavy and feels like it's great quality, but that fan makes more noise at idle than my GPU during stress tests. Based in the UK and have a strong preference to shop from Amazon.

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 3 points

I would get a Evga G2, according to reviews it is quiet and it is better than Corsiar RM series, some are tier 2a and some are tier 3, the G2 is tier 1.

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Also look at SuperFlower Leadex series...tier 1 PSU.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/parts/power-supply/#R=5&m=441

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Went with the G2 unit as it had Prime on it. With the delivery the 650 superflower and evga were same price. But I can have the EVGA tomorrow, which means I won't have to wait to have a quiet machine. Thanks for your help.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice ... Good buy ;)

No problem ;)

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I would've went for the Leadex, but it didn't have Prime. They're about the same price as well. Thanks for the info though.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh ... Didn't knew that.

Thanks for the info :)

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I went with this one: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr

A bit too powerful for my 300-400W system, but It's the cheapest 600W+ that I could fine. I guess I'll just HAVE to SLI. ;( Thanks for your help.

• 61 months ago
  • 3 points

firstworldproblems

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Mah PSU so big I was forced to buy a second GPU and a 144hz screen to go with it. ;(

J/k though my mobo doesn't even support SLI.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol see? Now you have to buy a new mobo too!

jk

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I've been seriously considering a new case to go with it as well, so that I can look at my GPUs. However, they look much better in waterloops. Even better in custom waterloops. I'd have to get new ram sticks to match the colour scheme as well. Maybe keep the CPU though. Maybe. And the fan splitter. That's it. I mean, if I don't keep the fan splitter, it'd be an entirely new system. So better use the same splitter. Just sleeve it.

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Put a #pound symbol# before and after the text you want to be in bold, and it has to be on a different line than any non-bold text.

It should look

Like this

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Double check your PSU for a "Hybrid" fan switch. If it has it, then you can toggle it to have the fan only run when the PSU reaches a certain temp.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Alas, no switch. Just a jet engine underneath it. I also checked the on/off switch as well, because I've seen EVGA have the middle position as 'eco'. But unfortunately only on/off

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! Could have saved £25. I looked at that one, but I thought I'd go for the Tier 1 ones, not realising that the difference is not worth it for what I am going to be doing with this system and that the savings would be so high. I would feel bad to return so many items to amazon D: I am already returning an XFX unit, because of noise. Returning a tripod as well, because the cam I got is rubbish. And now to return the just ordered Evga G2 xD. Oh, well, I guess I'll just call it 'future proof' (yuck) and see how quiet the EVGA is.

P.S. I think I also read a review somewhere saying that it's not that quiet. And I need to be as quiet as possible, as it's sitting about 20cm away from my ears. No noise isolation due to the PSU having a mesh back. Thank you for your help though. (: Will definitely keep the antec in mind for future builds.

[comment deleted]
  • 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I am really looking forward to that. I can make my case fans go as low as 700 RPM, the GPU doesn't kick in until I play a game and the CPU fan runs at about the same speed as the case fans so I am really looking forward to a quiet machine. I'm sure it could run all on passive cooling, but I'm not sure my case would fit a passive cpu cooler.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube