add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Case fan connections

Hakan

57 months ago

Apologies if this has already been posted (as all cases, mobos and fans are different - my ignorance has lead me to start a new thread).

Sooo...

Total newbie - really, TOTALLY NEW!

Have tried to be a money saver and bought parts lower than RRP through a lot of patience. The patience is starting to wear thinner now I'm building.

All parts are in an the power side is the part I didn't expect to slow me down...

To summarise and be concise:

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard CASE: NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case PSU: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Everything is in place bar the power cabling.

So the NZXT has 2 case fans, both different sizes.

Both have 3 pin connectors and male and female molex connectors.

The mobo has sockets for a 3 pin SYS_FAN and 4 pin SYS_FAN. It also has a 3 pin PWR_FAN

I've read about daisy-chaining the molex cables, I've read about using both SYS and PWR sockets for case fans, I;ve read about plugging one case fan directly into the PSU (although I lose some fan control) and I've read about burning out your system by doing in all incorrectly... :(

I'm almost tempted to buy a bog-standard 4 pin case fan and just use the the SYS_FAN sockets on the mobo.

I bet this is a lot less complicated than my old head is making it out to be!!!

Any advice will really be appreciated :)

Thanks folks.

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Just plug in your case fans through the molex connectors if you don't mind having them on full blast. Otherwise, just plugging the case fans in the sys_fan plugs. 4-pin means nothing except you get extra features such as pwm control and fan speed reading.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks very much for your prompt response John; that said have a few more questions and a few comments I've found on the net that may add to other people's similar questions.

It appears my options are:

Connect both 3 pin fans to the PSU and leave it on full power. Connect one to the PSU and the other to the 3 pin SYS_FAN Each fan comes with a 3 pin connector and male and female molex - can the m and f molex be connected for cable management (where the 3 pin will be used)? I get mixed info on the PWR_FAN 3 pin connection. Some say it's for the fan on the PSU and a brand leader on building a pc says you can use this for the case fans?

I'm not a heavy gamer so perhaps I'll just plug a 3 pin into the mobo and one into the psu. That said, a 4 pin case fan is circa £5, so I'm not fussed in investing in one and not plugging directly into the PSU...

Thanks again :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube