add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Let's talk Linux, kiddies

oCollective0circuits
  • 63 months ago

I've been using Mint/Lubuntu and checking out other Distros. Now I'm going to get down and dirty with CentOS. I have a scientific linux VM, and was about to see what the fuss about Fedora was. How about you?

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Gave it a quick test months ago for the purpose of using it as a desktop, was not impressed and discarded. If memory serves, RHEL and CentOS was never really geared as a user friendly desktop. Really hoped that it had changed since their support length was longer than Ubuntu's LTS five years but still limited selections with their repositories and such.

For use as a server, it may be worth consideration due to it's long lifespan and servers generally require time customizing anyways.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I think that's the idea for it. I think it's also popular with companies due to those strengths.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

How was CentOS? My favorite distro ever, CrunchBang! was just deprecated :(

Looking for a new home in OSS. Right now I'm using Xubuntu, which rocks, but something even more lightweight/barebones (with a similarly robust repository and dependability) would be awesome.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Wait WHAT!? Crunchbang's DEAD!?

this is a sad day

fffffffff

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

CrunchBang 2015-02-06: The end.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

it is still sad

fixed

I've just been following elementaryOS development lately, didn't know Crunchbang had been discontinued :/

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

yep, he's not developing it anymore :(

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Aww, I was really considering trying it out. I might just have to try use Arch with Openbox or something :/

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd say try stock Debian with Openbox. That will get you fairly close to what #! was, but of course minus the nifty customizations (his pre-installed conky was the awesomesauce), theming, and pre-installed software.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Good idea. I might try that.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

If you don't need it to be compatible with NTFS, Linux Lite may be of interest. For whatever reason, encountered data corruption copying files from Linux Lite to a NTFS hard drive frequently.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

that's a pretty big deal, but my 32gb USB stick craves more distros...

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

There's a lot of attention for Mint recently, check it out.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

I have tried Mint; didn't like it. For whatever reason I have never been able to get it really stable, it doesn't come with a good selection of default software (IMHO) and it's sometimes very slow, despite the fact that at other times it's been benchmarked as one of the fastest.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Strange, maybe an abnormality. Some proprietary driver nonsense maybe? The only hardware problem I've had with any Linux was an olddd laptop's obscure wifi card.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Definitely abnormal, given how popular it is with others. I'm not trying to make excuses; the problem almost certainly exists between keyboard and chair.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, your glasses are broken.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

CentOS is red hat, but free of all red hat branding. It's intended for enterprise use, not as a desktop for home use. That said, it's fully capable. Fedora is the more frequently updated variant that serves as a red hat test bed and is geared more towards common desktop use. Go with Fedora. All 3 are essentially red hat, but have a different update cycle and branding.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

thanks for that; somehow was very difficult finding such a simple delineation between the three.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Distrowatch is a site you might want to visit. It has info on hundreds of distros.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, I go there all the time. It doesn't make the lineage of the OSes very easy to understand, though.

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Straight Debian at home. Linux Mint at work.

On my personal laptops, Windows doesn't even get to boot. The first thing that happens on a new laptop is the partition table gets blown away, followed shortly by a Debian install.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Really, Windows has so many programs that you cannot use on Linux. (about the only reason I use it...)

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, absolutely. When I want to play games, I boot into Windows. Lord knows you can't rely on it for any real work... :-)

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Exactly

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Been running Kubuntu 14.04 for the past year, just built a new machine for it. It hates the on board Creative Core 3D audio circuitry. I guess I'll be hunting down a compatible sound card...other than that, loving the OS.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Started with Ubuntu, hopped all over the place, and stuck with Arch Linux. It helped to teach me a lot about the hardware in my systems and how to get the most out of them for various use cases.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh ya, that's a very technical one that makes you learn what your doing... Extremely customizable also, but not for total noobs

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

That's true although the Beginner's Guide helps a lot in that respect.

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Yup. Slackware was always a good step between a user friendly Linux distribution and one like arch

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I've been using Chakra lately. It's pretty nice.

I used to use Mint some, but it wasn't really my style.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Which Linux operating system would be best for gaming? I will mostly use WINE and steam to get the games on the PC.

I normally use mint but I used to use Ubuntu. I also use the one made specifically for the pi on my pi... Can't remember the name though

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Ubuntu & SteamOS.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I am thinking of going Ubuntu or mint

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Ubuntu has an app store with support for proprietary software, that's why I mentioned it. I recommend the LTS (long term support) releases, 15.04 was disappointing.

Debian was my favorite until #8, now I'm leaning towards Gentoo which I've yet to try.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, thanks! I almost am thinking of just going for Windows just because of Sims... I still am leaning towards Linux though

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube