add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

question on zalman z9

topgun1572

57 months ago

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811235026&cm_mmc=SNC-YouTube-_-NETV-_-gPb5HU3DdWo-_-11-235-026

So apparently this case doesnt have a usb 3.0 connector but two 3.0 usb pass through cables, so how would one use the front 3.0 connectors, the cases comes with two 3.0 ports on the front, but it doesn't have a header so whats up with that? Is there a way to convert them to 2.0 then? Also the back fan uses a molex 4 pin connector , but I don't know how to connect to my motherboard. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

http://www.zalman.com/global/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=423

The specs show only 4 usb 2.0 (Front panel), look under specs / front IO ports = USB 2.0 x 4

You connect the molex connector to the power supply or better change the fan for a 3pin or 4pin.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Weird I already have the case and it has says 3.0, plus the ports are blue

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

The thing is my mother board does support 3.0, but for some reason zalman decided to to not make a one 3.0 header, but these two 3.0 pass cables (They are like usb sticks on an extension cord , no idea where im supposed to put them) which means the an adapter wont work, because the 3.0 front panels dont have a normal header but are divided into these two usb cords

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

if you can later on post some pictures..

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

np, in the meantime go to this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPb5HU3DdWo&list=LL4RsZCA36wVL0X2zA9YpV0Q&index=1 and go to the 3:42 mark and those are the 3.0 usb pass through cables i was talking about, those replaced the nomral header for that case

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I believe you're referring to the two cords that look like standard USB 3.0 plugs? It's unfortunate that they didn't either include an adapter for that or used a plug for the motherboard pins instead. The only way those will work at this point is if you route them to the rear exterior of the case and connect them to the USB 3.0 rear I/O panel. You're most likely looking for something like this.

USB 3.0 to motherboard usb adpater

If you have any questions about the Zalman case, ask me, I've worked on one before.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

yep that's strange zalman would do something like that, but that adapter is the best option, that way he can use the ones on the front and back.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow so i would have to have a wiring coming out the pc just to plug it in to the rear i/o panel, that would look so ugly. Guess I'll just buy adapter, thank you.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Glad I could help

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube