add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

EVGA 750W VGA Connector Question

kingjavo
  • 61 months ago

This may sound like a stupid question, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. The below PSU has coded wires like VGA, CPU, SATA, etc for connecting to your components.

The GTX 980 has 2 power slots, one is 4 pin and the other is 3 pin. Can I use the CPU (3-Pin) wire from the PSU for the 3-pin power slot or do I need to specifically use the ones that say VGA?

Reason why I ask is because the VGA ones have the connectors with 4 pins, but 1 of the pins is a breakaway and just hangs there. I'd rather it be clean without the dangling wire.

EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply http://pcpartpicker.com/part/evga-power-supply-220g20750xr

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

first, the connectors are 6-pin/8-pin. secondly, no, do not use the cpu connector.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Right, that's what I meant to say. :)

So the best way to do it is to use 2 VGA connectors then? (1 - 8 pin and 1 6 pin)

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

yes.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool! thx

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube