add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Different types of motherboards?! Please help!

doznoff2slp
  • 83 months ago

Hi all...I am in the process of ordering parts for my first build. I am not planning on doing any overclocking and am probably going to stick to a.standard 7200 hard drive.

My question is this...what motherboard is best for me? I am confused on the difference between the (B85, h77, z75, z75 etc). I am probably going to go with a i5 3570, but have considered the 4670 as well. I know that would make a difference on the mobo choice; I just want to understand what the difference of the types.

Here is what I need: not using ssd, probably wont upgrade to one, no overclocking, want usb 3.0, and would prefer to be able to Xfire down the road, but not.really a must. Thanks so much!!

Comments

• 83 months ago
  • 2 points

The (B85, h77, z75, z75 etc). is the model number normally for a chipset. More information here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southbridge_%28computing%29

now each chipset has different properties/benifits/abilities than others.

For example the Z87 Chipset used for intel new 1150 socket cpu's (haswell) is the high end chipset with multiple functions and comes with features that the others don't. Now chipset's these days are replacing the North/South bridge chips with one whole chip that does both. Here is more info on the Z87 by its self http://www.intel.com/content/www/xr/en/chipsets/performance-chipsets/z87-chipset.html

Also this covers the series of cpu's with chips https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_chipsets

Now i know thats mostly knowledge about the different chips but its really not that hard to pick one. Really depends on what cpu you plan on getting. Ivy or Haswell. And there really is not that much of a difference between the ivy chipsets and the haswell. Mainly how many sata ports and ever so often some new feature like the intel Smart response Tech. Which is The Z68 also added support for transparently caching hard disk data onto solid-state drives (up to 64GB), a technology called Smart Response Technology. Improves speed of a HDD by using the SSD to cache and increase how fast programs load.

There is allot to talk about this but not many people usually dig deep into the chipsets.

• 83 months ago
  • 2 points

If not OC'ing, you need an H87 motherboard for the 4670 or an H77 motherboard for the 3570. Pick 2 or 3 in your budget range and just look at the details to see which supports Crossfire and how many USB 3.0 ports, etc. The difference between the "H" and "Z" is that the Z series motherboards are designed for OC'ing and the "H" are more for basic use.

• 83 months ago
  • 1 point

And usually under $100

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube