add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

new pc can i transfer my windows 7 key

martym
  • 63 months ago

Hi guys im currently building my pc and like everyone trying to keep the cost down. I have a touchscreen all in one windows 7 premium edition that my child has broken and i was wondering if i should or could transfer the os tomy new pc saving me 75 quid. Also as they are all getting free upgrades to windows 10 i assume this would make sense if possible.

Firstly can i have your thoughts and also if i can do it how do i logistically do it (im not putting a dvd drive in the new pc, more room for fans).

My new pc is an i7 4790k with a maximus vii hero board and 16gb g skills 2400 ram.

thanks

martym

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Check if the key is OEM. Windows + Pause button, scroll to the Windows product key ID, if there is "OEM" within the key i'm not sure if you can transfer the key between the two computers.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks i appreciate the help ill do that today

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

If you bought Windows as a retail copy on that old one, it should work. If it came pre loaded, then likely it won't.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea thanks it was preinstalled on an all in one pc

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I think Pre-installed Windows is almost always OEM and cannot be transferred to another computer.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

2 out of 3 of the PCs that I have built I've reused the code from rebuilds. One of them started off as Vista and I bought a Windows 7 upgrade and I used the upgrade key on the new build, so it is possible to use it. But their is no guarantee that it will. I would just start off with trying it, if it doesn't work you will be good for thirty days, so you will have plenty of time to get a copy.

As for how to install it, you can put it on a jump drive to install and if you don't want to do that you could always just plug in the optical drive from your old pc for install, just lay it down outside your case (i did this for my last build that I did).

Hope this helped.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

My experience with transferring an OEM license of Windows 7 to a fresh install (and calling up their windows activation hotline) is that the original machine that was assigned the license has to be in repair for them to allow you to transfer the license. Essentially, if you bought a computer with an OEM license, and something happens to the computer, then you have the right to reinstall the license on what is essentially the same computer.

So, if your OS gets corrupted, or the motherboard/cpu dies, and you have replaced the board to restore operation of the original computer, then they will authorize a license transfer.

Then again, I am my own system builder, so I am basically supporting my own system build. You're not the system builder of your AIO, so you might not have the right to transfer your license unless your AIO retailer is willing to support the machine it is transferred to.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Here's what their license FAQ says. Basically, if it's considered a new PC, you can't transfer it. But if it's the same PC being repaired, they don't designate any issue there.

Q. Can my customers transfer or sell their OEM software licenses?

A. After an OEM software license has been installed on a PC, the license may not be installed on or transferred to another PC. However, the entire PC may be transferred to another end user along with the software license rights. When transferring the PC to the new end user, the software media, manuals (if applicable), and Certificate of Authenticity label must be included. It is also advisable to include the original purchase invoice or receipt. The original end user cannot keep any copies of the software.

Q. My customer bought a new PC and wants to move the OEM software from the old PC to the new one. Can't users do whatever they want with their software?

A. No, the OEM software is licensed with the computer system on which it was originally installed and is tied to that original machine. OEM licenses are single-use licenses that cannot be installed on more than one computer system, even if the original machine is no longer in use. The Microsoft Software License Terms, which the end user must accept before using the software, state that the license may not be shared, transferred to, or used concurrently on different computers. System builders must provide end-user support for the Windows license on computers they build, but cannot support licenses on computers they didn’t build. This is a fundamental reason why an OEM System Builder License can't be transferred.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube