add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Downgrade 8.1 pro to 8.1

Banshebot
  • 62 months ago

So I put together my first build at the weekend and it went flawlessly :). The only problem I have now is I forgot to order an optical drive so I had a friend put a copy of windows 8.1 onto a flash drive so I could boot up and get it going. With the ''activate windows'' watermark getting annoying I've gone to input my serial code but it won't work because my friend has installed the 8.1 pro edition when I only have a serial code for 8.1. Is there any way without formatting my hard drives and starting again to downgrade so I can activate my copy?

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The only advice I can give you is to go buy Windows instead of trying to pirate it.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I bought windows but my friend installed a pirate copy on it while he set it up. I'm trying to activate my legit copy but with it being a pirated pro version I'm just wondering how I'd go about installing the other.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

You must have a CD with your valid license on it.

Ask your friend to turn that into a USB drive.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

As simple as that?

I have an external CD drive I've borrowed I could use that?

My only worry is losing everything to a wiped drive. I have a 258GB SSD and a 2TB HDD. Will both or only one be wiped in the OS installation process?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

To go from pro to regular you will need to do a reinstall.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I ended up just going for it. Moved all my files to my other HDD and managed to keep everything :).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube