add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Will This Hold Up?

turtlejoe84
  • 61 months ago

Hi guys,

I ordered a custom desktop, with a total of 338w output. So i had them put in, what i thought was a 680w PSU. Then after doing a little research, sites say that the psu i got only actually outputs 400w. 400w is the minimum requirement for my graphics card, but will a 400w PSU be good enough? or could i run into some trouble later on?

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Agree with pegotico here. PSU's are the cornerstone of the build. Don't cheap out on it, as it can result in problems down the road.

As for wattage, one would assume that 680W would be sufficient for the build (of average 400W), however it'd be helpful to either post the build, or the PSU you're planning on purchasing so we can provide accurate critique and recommendations.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

http://www.outletpc.com/ld8174.html

This is the psu i got.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Doing some cursory research on that unit, I'd replace it. Its a 2009 model that is using inferior parts. You may get a year or two tops out of it before serious degradation.

You can use this list as a Guide as a baseline to see what fits in your budget and cross-compare. Tier 1 is the most desirable, however most expensive. The goal is to try and get the best tier that will fit into your budget.

Personal recommendation? EVGA G2 750W. Quality parts and performance. The unit really punches above its weight class in that regard.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

So if i keep this for a little while before i get a new one would that be ok? and would it be complicated to switch out? Thanks a lot for the info and research.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

It depends on the definition of 'for a little while'. Basically, as you can see from other posts, you want to replace this unit as fast as humanly possible. Remember, if the PSU fails, other dependent components may, or may not go with it. That also means with the PSU down, the computer is dead in the water. Its not like a Video card, where if it dies you may have a CPU with onboard video as a backup.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright thanks, i will get it changed right away then.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

you can take this page as reference, just look for your graphics card.... this are real minimum requirements, its always important to have a good psu, many ppl think it is not that important but your whole build depends on it.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

You can choose PSU up to 500 watts.If you plain for feature upgrade of components.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube