add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

a question about windows

ibrahim789
  • 63 months ago

if you buy a windows cd can you use it only once or can you install it more computers or do you have to buy another disk or license

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

We can able to install windows CD only once.If you need to install windows on another system you need to buy another windows CD.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

If unsure of version and such, read the EULA that should be included with the DVD disc(s).

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

The actual Media itself (DVD, CD, USB, ISO, etc.) can be used to INSTALL windows on as many machines as you like. However, each machine will have to be activated using a valid Key for that version. Otherwise, after 30 days the machine will lose functionality.

mrluckypants96 is correct. Retail keys can be used on multiple machines, but it is not widely known nor is it officially supported. It's actually a bit of a loophole.

Although this is all moot, as of Windows 10 upgrading is free anyway... even if you're not on an activated version of Windows :D

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Can I get a source on that "3 installs" info for Windows 7 or 8? I'm not turning up anything online.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, no. I already know about the phone activation process... it's what I have to use with my OEM license. What you are describing, however, is in practice piracy, which should not be discussed on this site. I did that once and within a few months they had cottoned on to the fact that Windows was running concurrently on a single license, and deactivated both machines' "genuine advantage."

Yes, Windows 10 is by far the most amazing play MS has made in a very, very long time. I say linux scared them into it, haha.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

removed, thanks.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I apologize for my previous comment. Won't happen again :)

[comment deleted]
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

AFAIK Retail keys only work on a single system. They do sell 3 packs, but those are correspondingly more expensive. The benefit of Retail vs OEM is that you can reinstall your Retail system as often as you like, and you can change hardware without raising red flags at MS. In practice the truth is that you can usually also do this with your OEM key, but you will have to jump through more hoops to do this because they try to tie an OEM install to the first motherboard it was installed with.

SOURCE: I was once a software salesman.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Your actually both right... You can install retail on 3 systems, but the license allows for 1 at a time, though the reality is that it works either way

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

By that logic, you can install Windows on as many unconnected computers as you like, lol.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

It's the difference between what the license agreement States and what the technical aspects allow

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Again though, it's not really a grey area. It's technically illegal, and there's no random "3 computer limit" built-in. If there is such a limit, I'd like a link on that. If your PC isn't connected and can't know whether or not it's valid, it's going to ask you to call in your validation. At that point, I'm going to assume that the guys at MS are gonna tell you that the PC is already activated if you use the same key.

You may be referring to the timeout that I know OEM licensing has; if you reactivate with a single OEM key multiple (3?) times in a small (I don't know how small) period of time, supposedly their automated phone system will cotton on to that and deny you Geniune Advantage. I actually had it happen to me once because of a string of mistakes and hardware failures (oh the joys of getting most of your components out of the trash heap!).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube