add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

powering a 2nd grapics card

david2727
  • 61 months ago

I have this power supply http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx600m and I hooked up my graphics card http://pcpartpicker.com/part/zotac-video-card-zt9010110p with the 8 pin type 3 to dual 6pin +2 pci e cable provided. The card needs 2 6 pin pci for power. I want to add a 2nd graphics card but cant figure how to get it power. I have 2 open 6 pin pci peripheral slots on the power supply and would gladly use them both on the 2nd graphics card. The power supply came with a 1 6pin to 4 molex that would allow me to hook up the card with the 2 molex to 1 6pin pci adapters that came with the graphics card but that would mean pulling too much from 1 6 pin i think. All of the 6 pin cables out there seem to go female to male but corsair looks to female on the power supply. How do I/ can I power a second graphics card with this power supply? Its 600 watts and I am only at 313 watts used currently. Thanks

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I would highly recommend against going SLI on a cx600m. I have this same psu and they didn't supply two PCI-e cables for a reason. If you plan on going sli, get a quality 750W psu such as xfx xtr 750 or evga 750 g1/g2.

EDIT: Just a reminder that it's possible to sli on a cx600m, but i'm against it as it's not that "good" quality of a psu. It's ok. Yes you can use molex -> 6+2 pin pci-e connectors to power a gpu as well. http://cdn.pcpartpicker.com/static/forever/images/userbuild/69776.dfcfd2845072f06072cd3881bfb35c64.05c9013cccc5f296aa8c1c223c05b9b2.1600.jpg

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I will heed your warning against flying too close to the sun on this one. I am however curious about the cable that came with the power supply. It hooks up to the 6 pin peripheral and has 4 molex connectors on it. If I hooked up 2 of the 2 molex to 1 6pin adapters and ended up with 2 6pin outputs pulling from 1 6 pin port on the power supply, will this even work? Will this pull too much from the one output?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Ha, reference to Greek story of Icarus. As for your question, it probably would work to power a 970 as a 6-pin supplies 75W and then you times that by two for each 6-pin connector to get 150w of delivered power(over the 970's apparent 145W TDP). Still would be better to get 8-pin(supplies 150w of power instead of 75w). As for the picture linked, the gpu that is powered by the molex connectors is a r9 270.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok forgive the repetitiveness but for clarity what I am describing above would be 1 6 pin output on the power supply (enter cable magic here) and ending with 2 6 pins on the gpu. I read that the 6 pins will provide 75w each but it would be pulling form 1. Is that not going to work because the 6pin output on the power supply going to max at 75w? I going to be trying to pull 150 w from a 6pin output on my gpu. Shall I assume this is a no no?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

At this point, I don't even know how it even works anymore. Sorry. You can try to sli on the cx600m or you can buy a 750w psu.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Fair enough. Thanks so much for the information and feedback.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Initially check PSU has enough power to given to 2nd GPU.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube