add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

replacing side window with glass?

N4m3L3SS

56 months ago

Just wondering if anyone here on PCPARTPICKER ever replaced the stock side panel window on any type of case with a glass window. Reason being for glass = Doesn't scratch, easier to clean, doesn't attract dust and a nicer clean look from what my thought process is lol

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Also forgot to mention glass doesn't have static build up.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Quick test with a glass cup next to me seems to indicate there is a slight static buildup on it...

Wasn't one of the original electricity experiments/tests done with a glass rod and cloth? Edit2: This pretty much states the experiment I was thinking of... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_charge#Electrification_by_friction

Edit: More on the topic of using actual glass... The weight difference may be significant, especially considering how it will be mounted.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Idk.. I haven't looked much into glass window for side panel yet and was thinking there wouldnt be static. If there is static then it would be far less than the stock side panels I think. This will be my first ever case modding experiment ever done lol. Will be modding an NZXT Phantom 240 thru out the summer when i have the time and funds.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Some of the Inwin cases have glass side panels

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Just imagine it getting knocked and broken. What are the odds of having tiny shards of glass ejected out of your exhaust fan and fired at you at high speed?

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Never thought of that, and that would be an epic Scar story lol. I might look into a different option than glass possibly then lol. Just thought it would be cool to do a custom side panel window with glass, which I don't think i have ever seen done before xD

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

It would definitely be cool. I'm just thinking 'WORST CASE SCENARIO'. Pyrex glass would be better but I'd still be scared of breaking it and ruining myself or my parts.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

It's actually somewhat done on quite a few pc's. Maybe go for an easier case to mod. I myself am planning to do mine too but with glass or perspex for my corsair 750d.

[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted]
  • 56 months ago
  • 1 point

hmmm.. i think i will accept this challenge of mine lol

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube