add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Enough cooling??? (AMD 8 core 8350)

krowboy

58 months ago

I'm relatively new to PC building ( just putting this out there to start ), this is actually my first solo build! I was chatting with friends who can agree that the AMD 8 core 8350 is a really good CPU, but... I am not so sure I can cool it properly. It has a tendency to overheat if not given enough airflow, I think that is correct. SO, I am not quite sure if my evo 212's will be enough needed flow. Would it be worth upgrading the fan? more fans? or water cooling all together? I am on a budget, but 20$ wont kill me, 50 or more... maybe... ( for reference this is my build list! )

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/krowboy/saved/

I would really appreciate ANY and ALL feedback! (also would the case have enough flow/space to support any extra items)

Thanks, -krow

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 4 points

Here's my take on your build. Switched the AMD CPU for an Intel and the NVidia GPU for an AMD. Got rid of aftermarket cooler because it's a locked, lowish TDP CPU. Also changed PSU to something of better quality.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor $173.95 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard ASRock H97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $71.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $53.10 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $52.49 @ OutletPC
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon R9 285 2GB WINDFORCE 2X Video Card $189.99 @ Amazon
Case Cooler Master HAF 922 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $99.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $58.99 @ SuperBiiz
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $18.95 @ OutletPC
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $719.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-13 03:49 EDT-0400

Realistically, go for whatever processor you want. Just try to get that R9 285 in there, even if it means getting an 8320 instead. The 8320 is unlocked so you can just overclock to get the stock speeds of the 8350 anyways.

Also the case you picked has 3 fans so the airflow is fine. They're quite large fans too.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the input!

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

To answer, yes, it will be fine. The 8350 will run without overheating even on the stock cooler. Either way, Vitacomp's build that he commented will be better than the one you have there.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Also for the case go for a Phanteks ENTHOO Pro This case is the best case of 2014 and is still the best case as of 2015, provides so much space, a fan controller, case looks sexy, can water cool 100% with this case if wanting to in the future, etc. All for the same case he gave u but this one full towers 100% much better, search a review about it there's a bunch, if u like it let me know what u think about it.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

It's very simple and clean and I like that, but I am really interested in the case that I have listed. thank you for all the input though!

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

For an amazing water cooler that can make a overclock a good amount of wanting to this cooler is great and can work on either Intel or amd cpu a bit more but much better. I have this cooler and have my amd 8320 at 4.2 ghz. 1. http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=35-181-030

The 2nd one is just the cooler master evo 212 not much overclocking can be done but will def keep your cpu 4.0 ghz cooler at 4.0 it will get hotter if overclocked but not enough where something will happen. Though I am not to to sure so you might have to try it out your self.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

The H60 is probably the worst water cooler in the world. It is extremely cheaply made. Corsair paid for the cheapest 120mm rad they could find, some basic tubing to connect it, and worst of all, a cheap asetek pump. I wouldn't trust it to last more than a year. Read the reviews. Many people complain about the pump failing within a year, sometimes in only a few months. Meanwhile, the new CM Nepton coolers have pumps designed in house, and are given a five year warranty, showing that their intended lifespan is much longer.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I have had it for a year and still no problem

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Still, there's no reason to recommend it when more practical options are available.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

it is More than enough with the 212 evo if you don´t overclock it, no Problems :)

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

yep 212 evo is enough for cooling,.

• 58 months ago
  • -2 points

If u remove the amd proccessor for a weak Intel i5 processor, than u just for ripped, always for such a budget use amd. That amd cpu can overxlock better, has 8 cores for more core games. But for the cpu for the 8350 try to go for a $50 really good cpu cooler.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

An 8350 performs worse even in games that DO support more cores, like BF4. Here is a graph of BF4 performance: http://abload.de/image.php?img=bf4_cpu_gpue7qax7sf86.png

The i5 beats the 8350 when both are equipped with the same GPU

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube