add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PSU makes ticking sounds sometimes

zLuffy
  • 60 months ago

Sometimes, my PSU makes weird ticking sounds (its not loud)--Its not always, just sometimes maybe 1-2 times/week And the only way to fix it is that I have to go inside my PC, and just tap on the PSU (where the PSU fan is) and then the noise stops. This is my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PP8RhM

And my PSU is Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Any reason why the PSU makes this noise? Any permanent fixes? The PSU does says it has warranty, but im not sure if it has ended or not, I build this PC around 1-2 months ago. burning

Any help appreciated

Thanks guys

Comments

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

If it's the fan then it might just be coming lose from the housing. Your RMA period has probably expired with wherever it was purchased but you can talk to Corsair. They might swap it for you.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

I bought all my parts like this Janauary. I dont think RMA is expired. It says on the package 3 year warranty

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Well the RMA to the retailer certainly is but you can still contact Corsair and get it serviced through warranty.

[comment deleted]
  • 60 months ago
  • -1 points

The CX is not crap. It is lower performance than AX but still is a good unit from a great brand.

[comment deleted]
  • 60 months ago
  • 1 point

in terms of price they don't have a single unit that earns a buy vs the rest of the market (specifically the US market). if price isn't an issue the HXi, AX or AXi are excellent. you can get just as excellent for lower cost though. and it's interesting to see that people calling the cx "good" just because the name on the sticker hasn't changed at all. well, they have much better user feedback than the CS and RM series so I guess that's something.

• 60 months ago
  • -1 points

Tier Three - Meets standard ATX specifications, though closer to the edges than Tier two units. These are still solid units, which still supply stable power to your system, though not ideal for serious overclocking

I don't see a problem with a lower priced reliable unit. I'll stop buying it when their support becomes poor and quality becomes worse. They are a top tier brand next to Seasonic.

[comment deleted]
  • 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll just throw out there I've had a CX750 builder series in my first build a month now and it started making a fast ticking noise like this guy said but its really fast in bursts of 3. Like the sound when you ignite a gas hob on a cooker. I can safely say its out of the case and I'll be ordering a good PSU when I've got the money.

In my experience the CX was a joke.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I think we'll have to disagree since neither one of us is convincing anyone. I still like their components and brand for the most part.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube