add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best OS for a HTPC

Bryantmatt66
  • 62 months ago

I am planning on building my self a HTPC this summer and i am totally confused by what type of OS i should be using on it. I'm going to be using it for everything media related from watching netflix and hulu, to listening to music and watching Blu-Ray movies. This will be my third pc to ever build, but i am kinda unfamiliar with the whole HTPC world.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Just like talby I would normally suggest linux - Kodibuntu (XBMCBuntu) specifically - but the issue is you need blueray playback. There are blueray players for linux, but they are not free, so if you already have software that runs in windows, it might be better to just use Windows.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

For VLC, and follows the LGPL

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Unfortunately in my substantial ******* around with libbluray, I was never able to get it to play most encrypted bluerays - which are most bluerays in general, in my experience. This really is a case of DRM ******** all over what could have been a great project.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

:(

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

There is a post about getting Blu-rays to play using makemkv's libmmbd library here which is based on another thread here.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Thanks!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I have never used linux before, how user friendly is it?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

depends on what you're trying to do. some parts of it are more user friendly than windows... most parts aren't.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Not that most parts aren't; it's that some parts aren't and most parts are different.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I disagree; there's a whole lot of linux that's just plain shittier than windows. I'm not trying to rip on linux either; I love it and wish we would all switch to it. But there are undeniably parts of the GUI, especially when it comes to issues of system configuration, that are sorely, sorely lacking.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

@Bryantmatt66

I would recommend trying Linux Mint to see how you like it. It is the most user friendly distribution there is in my opinion.

@Eschaton

Exactly what parts? I'm just curious.

I've seen the system configuration windows under Gnome and KDE and they are pretty much feature complete as long as you or the distribution creator added the correct packages.

I tend to work directly with the configuration files for various parts of the system. If not, I'll deal with a GUI. As such, I set it and forget it unless there is a major change (same with Windows).

I find that there are parts of Windows that can improve. Printer installation and handling is one area I find lacking (especially wireless printers). Bluetooth is another. System requirements are another big one especially for RAM.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Can go with ubuntu 14.04 which would work fine.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

If you want to be safe, then get windows 7 or windows 8.

However, if you want to go cheaper. Then use Ubuntu. Ubuntu is one of the most user friendly linux flavors out there. And it works great for a media PC.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube