add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows on the cheap.

lilshatespug217
  • 62 months ago

First things first: I do not pirate. Period. Ever. I have a moral problem with it, and do not do it. That being said.... I have heard of places where you can get LEGAL copies of windows cheaply (sort of like g2a for games). Any reputable sites like that you can think of?

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

G2A sells windows i think

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

G2A.com does sell Windows, but I've read that they still break MS TOS.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Where did you read that? I recently had a guy suggest G2A to me, and they seemed legit, but I had my doubts due to the insanely good deals that seemed to be all over that site...

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll try to find the sources again for you, but when I was looking for cheaper options, I also ran across G2A. I had my doubts, so I began doing research, and I found this one article that someone had copied and pasted his conversation with Microsoft. They told him that G2A was not an authorized retailer, so they couldn't validate the legitimacy.

Like I said, I'll try to find the source again. On my phone now, but I'll be at work in about 20 minutes.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

OK, that makes a little more sense, and I do think it means G2A is actually OK.

So here's how their business model works: they buy up bulk software when they can get it at below market prices. They then resell it at (obviously slightly higher) below market prices. What this model means is that they don't have to be an authorized reseller, since all the licenses they bought already entered the market through another (presumably authorized) reseller, just like how you or I could sell our Windows software on ebay without needing to be an authorized reseller.

The reason MS told you they couldn't validate their legitimacy is simply because they have no relationship with the company. It doesn't mean the company is suspected of anything.

I think. Probably.

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

Okay, I think I found it - though I thought it was on Microsoft's community discussion website, but I couldn't find it there. Maybe that's where I had originally found it, though.

Here is what I got from them this time. It's a little different from the reply I got the first time but it basically says the same thing.

Dear Valued customer, You have reached Microsoft Customer Service, South East Asia. My name is Rizky and I would address your enquiry. As I understand it, you have inquiry for Microsoft Windows 8 Pro from G2A website. If my understanding is inaccurate, please let me know. For this information, we have to inform you that it is not recommended by Microsoft to make purchases of these softwares as they are not official and genuine versions that are support by Microsoft activation. Microsoft does not have any vendor agreements with G2A or any of it’s resellers and so this in direct conflict to the Microsoft software license agreement since they are not an authorized electronic supplier of genuine Microsoft software. We cannot verify the genuine sales of the G2A third party seller but without authorization from Microsoft they cannot be genuine supplier. Sincerely, it was a pleasure helping you. If ever you need further assistance please don’t hesitate to send us an email and we will be more than happy to help you. Thank you for contacting Microsoft. Have a nice day! Regards, Rizky Customer Service Representative Microsoft Customer Service, South East Asia (SEA)

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2211493/g2a-windows-professional-64bit-legitimate.html

So, here's the deal. When I first found G2A windows licenses, I wanted so badly to believe that they were legit, so I spent hours upon hours searching Google. In the end, I found that there were just too many people claiming that these were MSDN licenses (which are not for resale and they break TOS). The only way that I know of to get Windows in "bulk" is to be set up through MSDN or Dreamspark or a charitable organization (like a church) - none of these licenses are to be resold. Do some more research and you might find some other people claiming to have bought from G2A, then contacting Microsoft to see if they were legit; they turned out to be MSDN licenses.

While it's true that you don't need to be an "authorized retailer" to sell Windows, at the price that it's being sold on G2A, I have a very hard time believing that they're not breaking TOS. And if that's the case, you might as well purchase it from a certain subreddit that sells these licenses for even less. Sure, the keys still work, but since they break TOS, Microsoft can deactivate it at any time.

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

G2A doesn't buy anything... Its all done by individuals. I resell games there. Everything on that site is sold that way.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh ok

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok. Thanks!

• 61 months ago
  • 2 points

If you're still in school (or know someone who is) you can usually get a discount version of Windows from Microsoft.

There are also some instances of schools having Windows offered for Free, as long as you are a student there...

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Same for most industry software. Windows, office, Adobe suite, autocad, etc... Always ask the school then check the official sites

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Better you can contact Microsoft support.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Does that also go towards high school students or is it just college?

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I believe you just need to have an email address with ".edu". You may also just be able to fill in the name of your school.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Dang my email is .org from my school. I could possibly ask the IT guy their... The one lonely IT guy

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Might work. Haven't checked Microsoft's site, so they may be lenient on the matter.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not going to build a computer for a few months so I will check into it then.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 62 months ago
  • 2 points

That subreddit is not allowed here. Those keys are not legitimately sold and break MS TOS.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Really? I thought they were real keys. What is the difference between those and one that you would buy normally? Are the keys for products such as Microsoft Office not legitimate as well?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube