add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Corsair RM line refreshed

jacobs4525
  • 60 months ago

Corsair has changed the units in their RM line (without renaming them, too, as if things weren't confusing enough). Here's jonnyguru's take on the new RM850: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=422

He also has an opinion that I happen to share on how people are treating Corsair these days. Sure, the CX series and (old) RM lines had some issues, but Corsair still makes some very good units, like the AX, HX, and CSM series. I'd recommend reading the first pages and approaching the review from an objective perspective (that rhymed, I should make a rap album) instead of seeing it through the hateful rage of your fanboy goggles.

Comments

• 60 months ago
  • 2 points

same old thing. not terrible psus (when I first joined this forum there were many users actually recommending evga nex and saying they're better than RM series, well at least they're priced better) but not very good and still not worth looking at. they need a $15- $30 price drop on all of them to be competitive. also, it feels like oklahoma wolf has taken up jonnyguru's corsair damage control with their recent overpriced and barely par psus. I can at least understand the guy who works for them doing it. really, chicony made units never lasted long in corsair's product stack iirc. they revised a TX model or two with chicony and went right back to CWT shortly after. their cwt made RM units were mostly problem free so it makes sense. blaming this change on fanboys and haters is childish imo.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

the sentiment of the review is not "OMG THE NEW RM SERIES IS GREAT BUY THEM BUY THEM BUY THEM", but rather that you shouldn't judge an entire company for a few mediocre and overpriced products. Corsair still has the AX and CSM series, both great units and worth looking at for their target demographics. It doesn't make sense that we direct so much hate at Corsair for things that lots of other companies do. The EVGA B1 and G1 lines are not so great, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't get a G2 or GS series PSU from them. Same with Corsair. Just because the CX and RM lines are bad, doesn't make the CS series any less of a good value. Although I, like many of us in the PC community, dislike the direction that Corsair is going (just look at their awful hydro line of AIOs that inexplicably still sell better than any other liquid cooler), it doesn't make sense to hate on their perfectly good products just because they have some bad ones. If we want Corsair to go back to what it used to be (a reputable, reliable company), we need to support the good products and avoid the bad ones, and instruct others to do the same.

• 60 months ago
  • 0 points

people seem to be hating on the company, which indeed I think is ridiculous given what they've done for a few areas in pc hardware over the years, not the good prioducts they make. it's not to the degree which people were blindly praising or recommending all things corsair a couple of years ago and beyond, but I can see why it bothers people within and close to the company. that said, this update was just him getting off his chest his opinions. blaming an OEM change that corsair has seemingly always made on bad rep from forums is silly. fact is the chicony units had problems the cwt ones didn't. the change makes sense and they've done it in the past when you couldn't find a negative word about corsair anywhere. and your fascination with the cs line is a bit funny. it's not a great psu, it's worse than the RM series in every way, so I don't know why you think it's somehow "great" while calling the RM "bad" (this is as incorrect and silly as calling the RM "great" and the HXi series "bad" at the same time), and it's priced really close to the RM series too. it has the RM's problem to an even steeper degree. it's priced higher than no less than 4 to 5 totally superior product lines from competitors.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

1) read the Jonnyguru reviews of the CS550M and CS850M

2) look at the prices. They are just as competitive as anything else out there.

• 60 months ago
  • 0 points

you need to read it again. then read the RM 550 and 850 reviews. though if you can't understand the test results there's no point. the RM units perform better and are built better. as for competitive if it takes a rebate to put the cs550 at a price that's only a bit more than it should cost before rebate it only proves the point. the TS550 is a better psu with a longer warranty and is $60 and $45 after rebate. the capstone 550 is $70 and $40 after rebate. the XTR 550 fully modualr, based on the best performing mid range platform from seasonic, is $80 and $60 after rebate. your idea of competitive is apparently as skewed as your view of the cs series.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, I'll agree with you that as of right now the 550W model isn't the best value, but take a look at the 650W version. Here is a list of comparable units (630-650W, 80+ Gold, at least semi-modular): http://pcpartpicker.com/p/TTfLBm

The only unit right now on that list that's cheaper than the CS650M is the Enermax Revolution X't, and that's with a MIR. The CS650M is $85 on Amazon right now without a sale or mail-in-rebate. The only other unit that comes close to that price range is the XTR, which also only manages to compete by having a MIR. Now about them being bad units, I know how to read reviews, and the JonnyGuru reviews of the CS550M and CS850M demonstrated that they have no glaring negative qualities, and are overall solid units for the price. Case closed.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the read. I just find, like the review says, that corsair PSU's are overpriced in most cases. While they do have some good psu's, the price steers me away from recommending them.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Agreed, however the CS series has maintained a very good price point.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

it appears that you are really biased toward this product line. it'sabout the worst performing and lowest quality 80+ gold unit for it's price. also has the shortest warranty. how is $85 for the cs550 good? unless you simply haven't seen what you can get for $85 in the US market, than I would understand this thing you're on, but suggest some research be done.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

its $60 usually with a MIR. Again, read the JonnyGuru review of the CS550M.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube