add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Whats so bad about Win 8

Memo1010
  • 62 months ago

I have seen win 8 many times have not used it much though it looks simple enough. So why does everyone say 8 is so bad?

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I using it for a year I think it quite good it never yelled at me.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

personally, i think that people say that its bad since its different. my only complaint is that at launch, it wasn't exactly optimised for use with a mouse/keyboard, but instead for touch. with win 8.1 they changed that though, so the only problem that i have is that the new "metro" ui start screen is completely useless.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I have no complaints about it.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't think people like it to due the fact it's 'different'. The whole user interface and menu isn't for everyone. Another reason people may not like it is because I heard that it isn't setup for businesses and schools to use.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

NO START MENU BUTTON!

A little detail, but what a detail... (Sorry for caps, but it's such an important detail...)

[comment deleted]
  • 62 months ago
  • 2 points

But that's a 3rd party item... If I was going to Mod Windows, why not just get something easily modifiable, like Linux or a derivative...

[comment deleted]
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The interface is junk. Its all form over function.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Generally those who dislike Windows 8 feel like Microsoft designed a operating system with Tablets in mind and moved too far away from the user interface we've been used to with Windows.

They would now arguably say that they've been proven right as it appears Microsoft is moving back to a more familiar interface for Windows 10 & will be offering a free upgrade. At present it looks like a cross between 7 & 8.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Windows 8 removed some of my favorite extras from Windows 7, like Windows XP Mode and has a very annoying secure boot feature integration with UEFI bios-enabled systems that makes it unfriendly to dual-boot alongside linux.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

It's considered bad because of the major changes to the UI: the move to what WAS called the Metro UI ( a UI that is more at home on a mobile device IMHO), the "crippling" of the classic interface, the focus on touch-screen instead of the standard PC fare of mouse and keyboard. It also has issues with backward compatibility for games and apps due to how the internal workings have changed (this issue is even more so than what happened with Vista.) They also changed things around as in how you access different features and utilities of Windows... yet again. (first time was with Vista.) 8.1 was the first fix of the classic UI, but it didn't go far enough. Windows 10 (out in July in the States, IIRC) is supposed to go even further in fixing the classic UI.

Personally, I'm not a major fan of it although I did replace Vista with 8.1 on my laptop. It's Okay, but I guess it is a good intermediary for the free Windows 10 upgrade. Then again I try to not use the "Metro" UI as much as I can.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Shame you never switched to Windows 7 at any point. For all intents and purposes it's what Vista should have been and it has been the most stable version of Windows since XP. Windows 10 will need to be something special to get people to switch to it from 7, even with the free upgrade.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, but I do have Windows 7 on my desktop system, so I know what it is like. (I've actually used Windows 3.0 - 3.11(wfw), 95 - ME, 2000 - 8.1 to some degree or another.) I have yet to touch Windows 10, but I just might when it is released, at least as an upgrade from 8.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I dont find it intuitive, there are settings scattered in both modes... certain things only available for touch... just everything seems scattered and thrown together instead of one unified OS.

And the start screen taking over the whole screen is a major PITA.

I'm used to pressing the windows key and opening a program and still being able to focus on what I'm doing, with WIN 8 you press start and your entire screen is taken over... this works well on my tablet, on my 27" screen it's distracting and just a huge hassle... yes I know there are 3rd party apps to install a regular start menu, but then that add yet another layer of settings that aren't integrated.

So I stuck with Win7... plus aesthetically I just think win8 is ugly, I don't need 4" inch tiles on my screen... it's almost insulting like we are so dumb that we need these big bright boxes to just point at...

Win8 was the first windows that I ever skipped and i'm glad I did... looking forward to 10 though.

i actually gave my parents a win8 PC and they have been calling and complaining about it for years...lol, can't wait til i can put them on win 10.

• 62 months ago
  • 0 points

Its been banned on Chinese government computers & select German government computers & maybe others, I don't remember. It was for security reasons. an NSA backdoor some said. I prefer a GNU or other Un*x system

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube