add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Mini ITX build cooling

Heldige

57 months ago

What would be the best method of cooling for a Mini ITX top end gaming rig in the smallest case possible(probably going to be custom). Core i7-4790K 4.0 Ghz Asus Maximus VII Impact Mini ITX board Corsair Vengeance Pro 2x8 GB 2133 Mhz Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB (if room is more of a factor) orGTX 980 ti (on release) or Asus 20th GTX 980 (on release) Silverstone 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply Samsung 850 Pro Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Again I will be trying to make the case as small as possible so what would be the best cooling option for CPU, RAM, and potentially GPU? Air over liquid? Custom over stock?...

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Ram doesn't really need cooling...

If you don't mind the extra work, you may be best off with a custom liquid cooling setup. That will allow you to link your CPU & GPU on one cooling loop and use (probably, not my area of expertise) dual 240mm radiators to cool them. The custom nature of the loop would allow you to make sure everything stays in a tight configuration.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

From what my reseach had indicated; this is what would likely be the best option. The only problem is I have no knowledge of building a custom liquid cooling system. i could probably find someone local who might be able to do it; but most stores I go to give me the crazy look and suggest I go to a larger tower.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Then you could always go with a good AIO/CLC watercooler. Depending on your case, you may be able to fit a Kraken X61, which is a great cooler.

Depending on your case, you could just leave the GPU using stock cooling.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Swiftech has an interesting solution; their 240x system would allow for both CPU and GPU colling. But I've read alot of negative reviews from their first 240x sales in 2014(failed pumps, brunt wires...) so I'm a little aprehensive with them.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Perhaps a TUNIQ Tower 120 Extreme 90.7 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler for the CPU and a reliable AIO liquid cooler for the GPU.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

You can always go with air cooling, but with Mini-ITX, it sort of lends itself to being moved while air coolers do not. Is there a specific reason for Mini-ITX, as this could help sort out what cooling you need. Also, how much of an OC do you want on the CPU & GPU? If the GPU is going to stay stock, you could probably get away with just making sure you have a case fan.

If the case is custom, there are some interesting ideas for improving air flow, such as having a case-fan (or at least inlet) mounted right over the GPU to improve air flow. Or you could go with a mesh material for the case that would allow much more airflow (at the cost of other factors).

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I know that feeling...

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

What case? We kinda need to know to help you. The use of an SFX PSU indicates that you will use a small case (silverstone RVZ01 methinks), so many coolers will not be compatible.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I agree.. no way of knowing without the size of the case...

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube