add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Star Wars Empire at War anyone?

jacobs4525

57 months ago

Just played this RTS for the first time in years a week ago and haven't been able to stop playing it! The gold pack (base game+Forces of Corruption expansion pack) is cheap on steam, and there are some AWESOME mods for it, namely Republic at War, which is basically a whole other expansion pack for the clone wars, and also adds bigger maps and more complex ships, as well as more units.

The space combat is by far the most fun part of the game, being based around a system of hardpoints, with each ship having various parts that do various function. They really managed to pull off the whole "massive space battle" feel, and it's pretty awesome when you get a big battle going and have multiple gigantic star destroyers and mon-cal cruisers fighting each other. It also has a fantastic campaign.

I'd highly recommend it. It doesn't take up much space and isn't intensive at all, so it's a great time killer to put on your laptop or something for when you want to do something for a few minutes (be warned, minutes will turn to hours). The mods like republic at war are a lot more intensive, so you'll want to play them on a proper gaming PC, but also add a ton more depth and are easily on par with any modern RTS.

I've had tons of fun re-discovering this game and I HIGHLY recommend it to any Star Wars fan, even if RTS games aren't your thing.

Comments

• 57 months ago
  • 2 points

I agree. It's an RTS game that's not overly complex and not too long to play a match. I'm a pretty big fan of the land battles. I could run it on the computer I owned in 2007 (Athlon 64 X2, integrated).

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I used to run it on my dad's pentium laptop from the early 2000s (it was whatever the mobile sku of the Pentium 4 HT was) and it lagged a bit, but it was playable. Super fun game. You can do a quick battle to kill a half hour, or spend months on a campaign.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Easily one of my favorite games of all times. Its a great RTS game and its star wars haha. The Republic at War mod is great and it really improves the game. i mostly enjoy that it increases the number of units you can have particularly in Space battles.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

True. It goes from a max cap of 5 capital ships to a max cap of 16 in republic at war, plus the ships have more hardpoints, and the AI is a lot harder.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

I used to play Star wars Galactic Battlegrounds.... That was fun! A huge AoE RIP-Off but good nonetheless.

• 57 months ago
  • 1 point

Hah, let's be real, what RTS game ISN'T an AoE rip-off? That game invented the modern RTS, so it's not a bad thing.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube